Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 4 weeks ago

How much legal protection do I have to perform a citizen arrest on a police officer for breaking constitutional rights?

Often, police perform illegal searches or arrests. If say my car was being searched without a warrant and I walked up behind the officer, grabbed his arm, put cuffs on him, disarmed him, and threw him into the back of my car for proper citizens arrest-- or perhaps just leave him on the scene in cuffs while I call an attorney ? Would I be granted legal protection if I could prove that it was necessary to protect my rights?

• J M

None. I doubt you have ever actually read the constitution. 

You're anonymous on a chat board ... let's not pretend that you have the stones to do that. 

You have no legal standing to do that, that is not a criminal offense.  It is a procedural error.

You'd have no legal protection when attempting to perform a citizen's arrest on a police office who is on duty. You would be arrested for interfering with and assaulting a police officer.

That's a good way of getting shot!

It'd work better if you're black though

• Susie

Often?????  Are you making a general statement based on opinion, or do you have facts to support that statement?