Trevor asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

What ever happened to the chicken named “Roma”?

So I was reading this and It left me to wonder the most important question........read for yourself 

"At that time they say that the Emperor Honorius in Ravenna received the message from one of the eunuchs, evidently a keeper of the poultry, that Rome had perished. And he cried out and said, 'And yet it has just eaten from my hands!' For he had a very large cock, Rome by name; and the eunuch comprehending his words said that it was the city of Rome which had perished at the hands of Alaric, and the emperor with a sigh of relief answered quickly: 'But I thought that my fowl Rome had perished.' So great, they say, was the folly with which this emperor was possessed."

—Procopius, The Vandalic War (III.2.25–26)

So what ever became of the chicken? Did it live out it’s days happily? Was it eaten? Is it still around? These things keep my up at night. Any leads/theories welcome 

Old roosters are allowed to die of exertion.