Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 month ago

I got my subfloor refinished and?

Hi my father passed away and I’m trying to remodel the house. I got the subfloor ‘refinished’ however there’s still gaps and cracks. What could be done in the future to stabilize the floor?

that looks like an 60 year old pine or douglas fir tongue and groove floor whose appearance reflects its age

it doesn’t look like it was sanded much prior to the finishing and like their might have been foreign particulate contaminate in the finish

just call it patina and throw an area rug down 

Subfloors are nailed or screwed to the floor joists. If the fastenings are holding, not working loose, that is all that is needed to stabilize the subfloor. I don't know why anyone would re-finish a subfloor. Subfloors usually aren't finished in the first place. Are you sure you know what a subfloor is?

• Eva

Subfloors usually aren't refinished.  They are the base for another type of flooring.  If you are talking about a hardwood floor that was refinished, it would depend on how bad the gaps and cracks are.  If they are minor and there aren't very many of them, the boards can be replaced.  If there are a lot of them you'd be better off tearing up the hardwood, making sure the subfloor is solid (if not it has to be replaced) and putting down new hardwood or a laminate as your budget allows.