Are there children who struggle in learning the grammar of difficult languages like modern Greek, when being at the nursery school?

What kind of problems do they have? How do they solve them?

@John, I think you missed the content of my question. I simply asked whether there are children who struggle in learning the grammar of their native language during the period of the nursery school.

Favorite Answer

Yes there are. Was that your entire question?

Both our children started leaning Modern Greek grammar when they were in first grade.  Neither one had a problem with it.

Source(s): We're Greek

Very few children are introduced to formal grammar lessons while at nursery school. They pick up their native language from hearing it spoken all around them. Nobody says "This is a relative clause" or "Look, a subjunctive". They automatically learn the shape and structure of standard sentences without having to know a single grammatical term.

• John P

Do you mean as native speakers, trying to be more formal in using the language they have heard and gradually learned naturally at home and around in the previous four or five years?

Languages are only 'difficult' if approached formally, after you have been using your own native tongue for some time. The different alphabet is also a factor in Greek for non-native users, though it is not totally outlandish for a user of English, French, German, etc.

My wife told me of a holiday in Portugal, before we met, at a small hotel in which the daughter of the proprietors was translating from English to Portuguese and vice versa, - the girl was 6 years old, and had been around native speakers of Portuguese, obviously, and around many English-speaking hotel guests.