How do you find good illustration/drawing jobs during the pandemic?

Craigslist is full of scams and sites like Indeed and Monster seem to be operated by bots that are programmed to reject most people. 

The job descriptions for most jobs online seem to have unrealistic specific requirements/qualifications that most people don't have. How do you get a job if you don't have most of these requirements/qualifications?I have a lot of skills and talent, but not most of these requirements/qualifications. I don't have expert knowledge on anything. I don't just know how to draw pictures, I know how to use Photoshop very well, I know how to create storyboards, I know how to edit videos (not on an expert level yet), I know how to create digital art, the list goes on. 

Favorite Answer

Good luck finding one. You can always be self-employed.

• Speed

Another aspect no one has mentioned specifically would be making cover art for self-published writers. You'd want a website with dozens of pre-made covers using fake titles and author names, sorted by genre. This means you'd need to know what kinds of art make a book an obvious romance, thriller, horror, etc. before someone even reads the title. You have to consider how it would look thumbnail size as well as full size, and sometimes both digital and in print. You'd also need to be open to custom work rather than use of your mock-ups with real titles and authors' names.

There's a lot of really bad cover art, so I presume someone who makes better and sells it at a reasonable price can get work.

There's a LOT of competetion. Have a resume of experience and education and a really good portfolio of samples that all stand out from the crowd. Something tells me you can't even check 2 out of 3 of those boxes.  

• Cogito

Companies want employees who DO have specific qualifications that most people don't have. They want people who can prove and demonstrate their talents and skills by producing such qualifications and certificates.  

They don't have time to interview and test every applicant who claims to be able to do the job but has no evidence of this.  

Employers want either a fantastic resume, showing a number of good companies for whom he/she has worked in the recent past and excellent references from them, or college/university certificates.I suggest that you get some qualifications and also create a really impressive portfolio ready to produce should you get an interview.

Contact Creative and Art Directors at agencies and ask to discuss your portfolio with them (during the pandemic you will find some of them have more free time on their hands). Expect lots of rejections or ignored emails/letters but some people will give up their time to discuss your work and or presentation.

Listen to their advice.