Fireplace?

Does this type of fireplace have a name?? I what to attempt to put a mantel up, but I don't know how to even go about it. I don't even know if it's possible with this weird shaped fireplace

• drip

You would need to take the hood off I order to put up a shelf/mantle. You can not add a shelf with the way it is now. 

I think it looks great as is.  I would take the little frames out of the window notch and out in one piece. Something more dramatic that will stand out.

I would go for 'Spanish Colonial' but 'eclectic' probably covers it.  If you are intent on a mantel, form a square box edging rising from the weak-looking edge of the bell mouth to form a natural ledge. This would reduce the amount of 'flare' which is part of what makes it look odd. I would also lose the wall lights and the shrine but that's another issue. Since a picture is worth a thousand words this should give you an idea.

I don't know if the style has a specific name, but it looks like a traditional French country design.

Not all fireplace designs are intended to accommodate a mantel above the fire box.  That one isn't.

You could add one at the bottom of the flare, but it would look weird.  Typically, for a design like that, storage would be in an inglenook on either side.

I don't know what it's called.  Where do you plan to put a mantel?  It certainly would not go on or over or in this fireplace.  It is not of the type of design where you have a mantel.  If you want a shelf for something, put one elsewhere.