Is it normal to leave a job, if you're content?

I work for a company that I really enjoy working for and have been for 7 years and counting. It seems like most people leave places of employment when they are unhappy, but I am content. There isn't an opportunity to advance, since I'm in a leadership role. I'm able to create my own schedule, have several hours of PTO and other perks. I am even respected at work. There is nothing for me to complain about. 

However, I feel like there is something better. Therefore, my question is, is it normal for people to leave jobs when everything is going good and begin searching for another potential opportunity with other companies?

• n2mama
    Favorite Answer

There’s a difference between being content and being satisfied and fulfilled. I had a job where I was a member of the management team, well compensated, had a strong team working for me, and was well respected by the staff. If I was comfortable coasting, I could have coasted at that job for a long time. But I wasn’t satisfied with coasting, I wanted something more. Unfortunately, I had basically been told that I was so good and necessary with what I was doing, they wouldn’t consider moving me internally. So I looked for a new opportunity and found one. Nothing wrong with seeing what’s out there. The good news about doing that when you are content with your current job is you can be selective about what you consider making a move for. If you hate your current job or are desperate, you might take the first thing that comes along, rather than waiting for the best opportunity.

• Eva

You never leave a good job until you've secured another one.  That said, you may simply be bored and not feeling challenged in your current position. The grass is not always greener at a new company.

They may be something better, but there are many things worse, and you often can't tell which things are better or worse until you get there.  If you leave for another opportunity, it is more likely to be worse than better.

Someone at my electrical company is switching jobs exactly how you described, not because of being unhappy but because it's a fresh start for her somewhere else and there could be more opportunity elsewhere. You aren't alone I think it's normal and you should go for it.