Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 4 weeks ago

Why can't rich people stay married but they expect poor people to get married and stay married?

Celebrities and the wealthy are always getting divorce

• Foofa

I've never heard a rich person say that poor people should stay in bad marriages. One wonders where you're getting this. 

I'm not aware of anyone 'expecting' poor people specifically to get/stay married. 

When you have money, you can finance your mistakes a lot easier. You get bored with what you have, or see something else you want, you can go out and get it much easier than someone who is struggling to get by. I don't know if the celebrities actually expect common folks to be more do as I say, not as I do than anyone else. They preach a lot of truth and honesty and integrity, because that's the image they want out there. Those things are popular with people, so saying those kind of thing keeps them popular, until they get caught being  hypocritical.  Anyway, not all celebrities/rich people are like that, but I get what you are saying. It stands to reason that people who manage to acquire great wealth are more inclined to value the material world more than the spiritual, and perhaps struggling through the day to day with someone when you're poor helps build an appreciation and a respect for that person, but often enough poor people wind up divorced for many of the same reasons wealthy people do, just on a smaller scale with fewer assets to divvy up between them.

Yet there are celebrities and rich people who don't get divorced too. Where does this idea that rich people expect poor people to get married and stay married"? Where did that statement come from? What's it based on? 

There is a big difference between celebrity rich and normal rich.   Plenty of well to do people stay married.