mack asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

English Learner's Question: now we're off?

Could you please explain the expression "now we're off" in the following dialog?

(Monica and Emory are an old married couple, and they are talking with the guests after lunch)

MONICA ....Anyway, it wasn’t Dr. Freud who analyzed me; it was Dr. Kettlebaum in London.

EMORY Now we're off.

MONICA And this was my choice, too. Not that I minimize Freud’s professional standing, for I still consider him the great genius of our time — but Dr. Kettlebaum wasmore—more sympatico, if you know what I mean, Reggie.

I appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

The expression 'now we're off' in this context implies that the other speaker is about to retell an old story or express an opinion that they, and probably everyone else, has heard many times before. It might be said when someone starts a well known, rather long rant that everyone is fed up with hearing. It is not exactly an insulting thing to say but it is a light-hearted criticism.