Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 month ago

Uni engineering project ?

I need to do an engineering project for my final year of uni. 

Any ideas are welcome only criteria was it must solve some engineering problem 

Also can’t be something someone else has done 

Favorite Answer

One of our kids is an engineer and wrote up my wish as an unsolved engineering problem about fifteen years ago. So far, though, there is not yet a solution I can purchase.

It's simple, really. In a household where there are people with long hair, when you vacuum, the hairs wrap the beater bar, also called the roller or roller bar. Through centrifugal force, the wrapped hairs work themselves toward the two ends, then interfere with the joint that powers the bar's rapid rotation at one and and allows the other end to follow that rotation.

What long-haired people do is dismantle the damned vacuum part way and use various small blades to cut away the hair when they start smelling burning hair. They don't like doing this and it triples the time it takes to vacuum. If they don't do this, the vacuum's motor burns out. (Our household had three people with hair waist-length or longer at that time. I went through a lot of vacuums.)

Going over the floor using suction-only, no beater bar, then regular vacuuming, helps only a little, leaving most of the hairs where they are.

So design me a vacuum cleaner that can handle long hair.

Maybe the link below might give you some inspiration. There are others if you just surf online a bit.

Sorry, my answer is "Anonymous" as your post is Anonymous. There is no need for an Anonymous question in this category, Most 'Anonymous' posts are trolls, maybe yours is not, but the high likelihood is there. If you post as yourself, I would be glad to help you with any problem you have.

I spend a lot of time on each problem, I just want to make sure it's for a worthwhile cause.