Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

What is the author saying here?

In the following passage from a book, I am not sure what exactly the author means when she says, "I’d rethought whether running by the church to teach my sixth grade Sunday School class had been judicious". Is she saying that she had actually run by the church to teach her Sunday school class that morning, or had she simply thought about doing that? Is that clear from the context? I am not a native speaker and the phrasing is a little confusing to me. Here's a passage from the book,

“Stop again, Buddy, and I’m going to have this baby in the car.” I’d awakened before dawn that Sunday morning with intense abdominal pressure. One week earlier, my OB-GYN informed me that, based on recent test results, we were off on the due date by a month and I would not be full term for another three weeks. He may as well have said, “You have the gestation of an elephant. You should only be pregnant another year or so.”

...

Nothing is close in Houston, particularly when you’re in labor. At the ten-minute mark of our twenty-five minute hospital trek, I’d rethought whether running by the church to teach my sixth grade Sunday School class had been judicious. Fifteen minutes in, I suggested Keith pick up speed. Twenty minutes in, I started threatening bodily harm if he slowed down at a traffic light again. By the time we pulled up to the hospital, I was red-faced and panting wildly.

in context, "run by" means go to for a brief period.  In modern society, she likely actually went either by car or by public transport.