Could I be pregnant even though my husband just got a vasectomy ?

My period is usually every 26 days. Over a month ago  my husband got a vasectomy, we were still careful that month, using condoms and pullout method. It's now been 34 days since my last period. Does it seem practical, or could I just paranoid?

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

Most pregnancies that are the result of vasectomy "failures" occur within 6 weeks of the procedure, often before the male partner has had his follow-up semen analysis to make sure he's in the clear. So, yes, it's not impossible. Very unlikely, but not impossible.

Given the level of caution you and he took, though, I think it's much more likely that you're just having an unusually long cycle. Were you under any unusual physical stress about 3 weeks ago, such as illness, surgery, heat stroke, extreme sleep deprivation, strict dieting, etc? Sometimes unusual physical stressors can cause our bodies to put off ovulation, and delayed ovulation means a longer cycle since your luteal phase is relatively consistent month to month. If that's the case, then you probably just ovulated later than usual, and your period will start later than usual.

• MissA

It seems unlikely but it's not impossible.  They do tell  you to use a backup method until a semen analysis has confirmed no live sperm, and all birth control methods do have a failure rate. 

Take a home test. 

• Jill

Yes. Buy a pregnancy test.  

His surgery may not have been successful. And even if it was, if you used the "pull out" method (which is NOT a reliable method of contraception, even when a man hasn't just had sterilization surgery) then there's still a chance that the pre-ejaculate could have contained live sperm. Which would mean that you could in fact be pregnant. I'd get yourself a kit and do a test, so you'll know for sure.

• Jamies

Of course you can. His surgery could have failed. It's unusual but it certainly does happen. My husband was forced to sign several forms saying there was up to 2% chance the surgery would have to be performed again.