In a public restroom, what's the deal with yelling at someone to courtesy flush when they're in a stall defecating and splashes are heard?

Like if someone is in a stall defecating in the toilet and it's making splash sounds, why would someone else in the restroom have a fit and be like "hey whose dropping bombs in there?!? how about a courtesy flush!"

i dont think they should do that, they mightve been about to flush later anyways

A courtesy flush is mainly so you don't stink up the place, IMHO.  But I could be wrong...

• John P

In over 70 years in Britain and Australia this is the first time I have heard of 'courtesy flush', though I did read some years ago that some (most?) Americans flush after every plop.

Personally, I am not aware of anybody near me flushing except when they had finished and wiped, except, very occasionally, when the offering was huge and there was a worry that there might be too much for one flush to flush it all away.

You Americans must have huge water bills!

Wasn't this in an Austin Powers movie? Or a movie with Tom Arnold; I can picture him saying it.

This story is a zero on the believability scale.

• Jerry

I've never heard of "courtesy flush." Bathroom sounds, bathroom smells are acceptable in a bathroom. 

If you are "reading the paper" on the pot or otherwise taking a long time to "do a complete job" then you might want to flush "between phases" so as to reduce odors. But "plop, plop" sounds IN A BATHROOM aren't offensive.