Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 4 weeks ago

Is this anti-feminism?

So when I say I’m anti-feminist, I don’t mean I want women to be stay at home housewives. I support womens rights because I think everyone should be treated equally regardless of gender.

What I mean when I say I’m anti-feminist is that women are nearly always portrayed as the victim in relationships and the men are usually blamed which I think is unfair. Women can rape/abuse their partners as well. Women cheat - in fact women are more likely to cheat as everyone talks about how women are more attractive/seductive. Yet when a relationship ends people usually hold the men at fault (even if his wife is the one who went and got herself knocked up through a homewrecker) which is unfair.

Is this anti-feminism? If not what is it?

I am actually a gay woman, just FYI. Before anyone starts claiming I’m a man.

I am against rape/abuse full stop. Gender has nothing to do with it - only hours ago I was commenting on a YouTube video how disgraceful it was that a woman was domestically abused by her ex-husband.

The point of this post isn’t gender. It’s victimisation and equality.

• Foofa

"Feminism" to me means nothing more than women being able to pursue the education and profession they choose and to be able to participate fully in the economy. Most of that was achieved by second wave feminism so now, again just my definition, it's about maintaining those rights and freedoms. To me feminism has nothing to do with personal relationships because I believe women should be strong enough to walk away from a guy who's violent or unfaithful. I'm not an "anti-feminist" just because I expect women to take personal responsibility for their own lives. I also don't think it's a good look for women to be constantly putting men down. In fact in my mind that makes us look petty and petulant. 

“...I think everyone should be treated equally regardless of gender.”

That is anti-feminist.  It opposes advantaging women over men as feminists want.   

"Is this anti-feminism?"

Anti-feminism is just as the word says.  It's contrary to the ideology of feminism as it is practiced by the prominent adherents that hold positions of power within the feminist movement structure.

This means that some of what you are saying might go against the feminist ideology, or against the prominent proponents of feminism.  But it's not actual "anti-feminism" as a counter to feminism from the ideological standpoint.

Having said all of this, you would easily find yourself at odds with today's feminists that shame anybody and everybody that goes against any principle they stand for. So if you find that some of your beliefs are not inline with feminists, they will have no problem labelling you a "sexist" or "woman hater" or whatever other shaming term they have under their arsenal.  And note that all of those shaming terms come from CLASSIC FEMINISM  which was only interested in equality via equal Rights.  But today's feminism no longer practices this brand of feminism.  They only like to reference it in order to -claim- they are a group for simple equality.  In reality, they are a full on dogmatic ideology that is tied to the radical left and proponents of critical theory.

.

• Bill

Nope. Anti-feminism is the rejection of feminism as an ideology, not just opposition to abuse in relationships. And you realize that traditional society hated on women that cheated too, right?

i dont think so

I get what you mean. Any time I’ve been cheated on, dumped, played etc, it’s always “haha he took your girl” or “clearly you didn’t treat her well” where if I was a girl, “he didn’t deserve you, you can do better”. Oh and if someone SAYS you’re a controlling boyfriend or sexual predator, you automatically are. If a female was accused of those things, it’d be a joke. 

Your views are similar to mine but conservatives think I’m a feminist and feminists think I’m a conservative. Don’t claim these views in public and not expect to be labelled as a cynical misogynist. You’re just misinformed and are falling victim to what feminism want, intimidation, look at you already associating anti-feminism with some kind of stigma. You’re just a regular, non traditional guy who has no ill will towards women but feels like he’s being depicted as a sexist because he points out female privilege. Fortunately you’re one of the rare guys who sees through this brainwashing technique and doesn’t become a simp.