Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

In UK is it normal for a replace burn out clutch to cost £183 with labour for it to cost £334 for a '7 hour job', or are they deliberately ?

using an elderly lady car owner as a cash cow?

Please UK answers only

And please calm answers only

Favorite Answer

Yes. £200 to £350 is a very good price.

It's a fairly major job and it can easily cost two or three times that with some vehicles.

The engine and gearbox usually need to be separated & the whole lot may need removing from the vehicle to do that.

And if you consider some main dealers charge £300 or more for a routine annual service that has next to no mechanical work - plus parts - it's a bargain!

I do most of my own maintenance, but I do not have the equipment required for a clutch replacement - and I'd be very happy with that price range.

One of my relatives just paid almost £700 for the same thing on an SUV...

• M.

First of all, you need to identify the car! 

Why UK answers only? 

Parts £183

Labor/labour £152 

So labour must be £20 per hour??

In USA labor is around $100 per hour!

-USA engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• F

My car might need a clutch soon. If anyone wants to do it for £334 I will drive it there even if you are at the other end of the country.

Realistically I’ll be relieved if it comes in under £1000.

• fuzzy

Depending on the vehicle the parts bill alone can be well over $1000. Many modern cars have dual mass flywheels & some manufacturers advise replacing these at the same time.

That price looks pretty good t ome

This must be with an independent garage / mechanic, not a main dealer. £334 for 7 hours labour is reasonable and if it incudes VAT it is a bargain.

You're an arrogant fool. First for requiring: "UK  answers only", and secondly for thinking people shouldn't be paid for their work.

Just because you don't have a job or a menial one at best, doesn't mean a professional should not be paid a fair price for their work.

The price you were quoted is more than fair in any first world country.

majority of garages charge at least £55 an hour ..thats the cheapest ..people like VW ..BMW  charge £100 + per hour ..my sons clutch replacement for his renault van was £1200 + vat ...cash cow?  welcome to the 21st century