Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 1 month ago

My school stole my scholarship money. What should I do?

I received a scholarship and my school only posted a partial amount to my account. I’ve graduated and still have not received the rest of the money. They keep giving me the run around every time I call or go in person. It had nothing to do with my grades etc. they literally just stole the money.

When a school posts a "partial payment" of a scholarship, it USUALLY means the school only received a partial payment.  School accounting systems will post the total payment (scholarship, loan, grant, or private payment) to your account, indicate the charges covered, issue a receipt AND issue any refund that might be due.  Students often think that the total amount of a scholarship come sailing in to the school - if the school only received a partial payment, it could be that the scholarship source needs an updated grade certification (which, with Covid & campus closures COULD be sitting in a pile waiting for attention) - I would advise you to contact the scholarship source & see what they actually paid out to you, and what sort of documentation they might be waiting for.  Many scholarship sources rely on the student to obtain documents from the school EACH term - sometimes that communication to the student goes to junk mail, but when the scholarship check doesn't come in, it is usually traced to the student not adhering to the scholarship requirements (reporting and/or grades).  School & State scholarships are processed by the batch - other scholarships each have their own methods. Check yours out before running to the police & crying fraud. 

I think you should definitely report it to the cops and take them to court. It is not right that they stole your money and I'm very sorry they did that to you. I will pray that you get your money back.