Headset mic removal/replacement ?

I have a Logitech G930 headset that I got for a really good price, and I really don’t want to have to buy another headset. The mic snapped off and the wire is basically destroyed, and since I have no idea how these things work, I’m afraid to do anything that might hurt it more. The audio works fine, but there is no saving the mic, and I am wondering if I could just cut the mic wire off? It’s just dead weight at the moment. Also, if I do that and find a replacement mic, how difficult/expensive would the replacement be? 

Favorite Answer

If you're not able to fix it the way it is now, there's no way you're going to have the skill to attach a replacement microphone, since repairing a break in a wire and splicing two sets of wires are essentially the same thing.

If you're not going to attach another microphone, and can mute the existing microphone input, then it's safe to cut off the wire. If you don't mute it, the floating wires could potentially short and create noise. Ideally, you would separate the wire ends and insulate them with electrical tape or shrink tubing.