How to get a car title if the owner is dead?

This car has been sitting on my property for two years because the family couldn't get the title for it, or didn't know how to get it and I'd like to buy it from them, if another title could be acquired. The car wasn't left in a will or anything, and they think the original title was thrown away  

Update:

In NC 

Update 2:

there is no executer of the estate

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

In MY State an Executor must be named, and that person must sign the Title over.  The proceeds of the sale are USUALLY used to pay the deceased person's debts IF THERE ARE DEBTS.

These situations often happen when there are debts and no one wants to pay them from the deceased person's estate.

In answer to the last time you asked this, heirs are not responsible for the deceased person's bills except in very specific instances.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Your best bet is to ask the DMV. Did anyone inherit the vehicle? Did the owner have a spouse?

• May
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

The owners Daughter would be the heir and as such would legally able to sell the vehicle but would have to get a replacement title before the car can be sold.

The order of intestate (having no will) succession is:

If there is no spouse, the children inherit it all. If there is no spouse or children, parents then grandparents would be next in line.  Then siblings, then nieces and nephews, aunts and uncles, and cousins are further down the line if there are no closer family members.

• Fred G
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Vehicles left or abandoned on certain property may be eligible for title processing via a mechanic’s lien process.  DMV will supply the details..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

The executer of the estate of the deceased should contact the DMV and find out what the steps are. A copy of the death certificate will be part of the equation, and if there was no will, the court probate papers may be necessary. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.