Anonymous

I’m a senior high homeschooled student struggling with taking notes. Please help. Thank you so much.?

I struggle with taking notes.

I tried taking notes using pen and paper and it took me 59 minutes just to write a page with limited information. I’ve tried mindmapping, same thing.

I’ve tried writing typing notes, but it took me too much time to just get the ideas out. I have very thick glasses, so my vision is not good. I try to avoid staring at screens for more than I need to because I don’t want my parents to spend money for more medication than they already did. Glasses are expensive and valuable, so I’m worried about making my vision worse.

I’ve realized the problem was that I just took too long to write down anything despite how much or how little effort and energy I put into writing them (I’ve tried writing like a doctor, did not work).

I’m not used to it. I’m worried about not being able to take notes because I heard that in college, it’s important to be able to take them as the teacher lectures. 

I’m no genius in studying, it took me 20 tries on the same math problem just to get the gist of it. I’m very fortunate to not be pressured by my parents on academics, so I want to do well and make them as happy as they made me (cheesy, but hey)

Notes might just be the way for me to retain the information I fail to understand. And maybe not fail in college... seeing my parents being sad for me is much more hurtful than them being disappointed in me, so I don’t want it to get to that point. 

What do I do?

-thank you very much-

• John

Your parents should have you checked for learning disabilities. That could be the cause of your note taking barrier. 

At the same time, you also should take some academic progress tests, if you have not already done so through your home schooling programs.  One of the problems with homeschooling is inconsistency between different families.  You don't want to find out in college that you need remedial work.