I got told that the biological clock is ticking since I’m almost 31 and I have no kids. Is that bad?

Look I admit that I’m not mature enough to have children of my own. I’ll be honest. I would like to have children of my own one day but I’m not going to myself pregnant for the sake of it. Don’t know if I ever we’ll be mature enough. I got asked, “When are you going to have kids? Give your parents some grandchildren.” I’m not financially stable enough to have children and I don’t wanna bring a child into the world if I can’t afford to take care of one or in debt. Not happening. 

My dad said don’t have children until I’m ACTUALLY ready and stable. He said when you bring a child in the world they go first and they will depend on me.

I think you're more mature than you realize.  Not many people think about financial stability before having children.

Is your biological clock ticking?  It's getting there... Medical experts recommend that a woman should have her first child before the age of 35, because not only the number of eggs she produces is starting to decrease around that age, but also their quality.  There could be changes taking place that would affect the child's health (e.g. Down Syndrome).  But as one smart woman said, you shouldn't get "pregnant for the sake of it."  

If and when you decide that you are ready for a child or children and you happen to no longer be able to conceive them, there is always adoption.  There are so many children out there, in the US and worldwide, who need loving homes. And with your mature and responsible attitude, I think you will make a great mom.

Always remember one thing -- listen to what your inner voice tells you. :-)

Your Biological clock is always ticking. Different thing can cause infertility. If you do plan on having kids, I wouldn't wait too long. The older you get, the more problems can occur with the pregnancy or baby. 

• J M

There is no reason why you have to have kids.

Kayla, your dad is correct. You shouldn't have kids until you are financially able to support them, no matter what your mom or these well meaning but ignorant friends of yours are saying about it. The next time someone asks you when you're going to have kids, you should reply to them by saying "When I am fully ready and able to do so." And then change the subject.

And NO, your biological clock is NOT running at warp speed, the way these idiots imply it is. You have time to make a responsible choice about parenthood, and you should make it without pressure. This is YOUR LIFE, and it's YOUR BODY. You only get one of each of these things.

• John P

I have 3 children in their very late 30s and early to mid 40s. There were problems between my wife and myself nearly 30 years ago which led to separation, and that situation possibly put them off seeking romance and families. 

None of them have formed romantic attachments. I am a little sad that I shall probably not see the continuation of my branch of the family, but I would never try to get my children to have children simply so that I could see grandchildren.

Incidentally, our children were born when my wife was 32, 34, 37.

So do not be influenced by what 'people' say. Feel comfortable with your life.

Nothing wrong with not having kids. We are grossly overpopulating the planet anyway

• MissA

We're not exactly running out of new humans, you don't owe your parents grandchildren and even if you did it seems like they are fine with you not giving them any, and ideally all kids will be bought into the world by parents who both want them and are in a good place to take care of them.

So I'd say to whoever asked you that, "When are you going to have manners?  Give yourself the ability to mind your own business."

• LizB

Whoever said that to you needs to mind their own business. While both male AND female fertility starts to decline the the 30s (women's more dramatically, but it happens to men, too), rushing to have a child before you can provide a stable home isn't good for anyway, least of all the kid. Besides, it's *very* common for women to become first-time mothers in their 30s these days. And mothers 40+ are the only age group for whom the birth rate is actually increasing.

• Liz

Your dad and you are right. Having children before you are ready is a recipe for a disaster.  Also it isn’t anyone business about whether or not you are having kids now or in the future. Ignore them. My favourite line when people asked me was ‘you’ll be the first to know if something changes/happens.’ 

No that's good global warming is burning us alive.