I want to quit heroin/opiates, but unsure the best way? ?

I’m considering buying a weeks worth of Xanax bars and weed. Usually a half a xan would make me blackout. I’m ready to get off opiates mentally. Physically it’s almost impossible for me. I’ve been using opiates almost daily for the past year and a half. I can take a Roxy 30 and I’ll feel a small high for maybe 10 mins.. I’ll start to get sick 4-6 hours later. I’m 4’11 and 98lbs if that helps with anything. I spend $100 a day at the least and I’m miserable. All my time and thoughts go towards making sure I’m not sick. Will the Xanax work? Someone let me know what I should do. I also have no insurance. I don’t want subs or methadone as I really don’t want to be addicted to anything else if at all possible. Thanks!!!! 

Apply for Medicaid and then look into getting the once a month Vivitrol shot if you are able to get approved for Medicaid.  Start going to NA meetings everyday and get a Sponsor.  Getting into therapy would also be a good idea.  In order to be able to get the Vivitrol shot you have to be clean for a certain amount of time, I believe it's 10-14 days.  Also, if you do get Medicaid there are rehabs that will accept that, so you could go to rehab for around 3 weeks and then get the Vivitrol shot when you're clean.  I wish you all the best.  This is a hell of a way to live and if you don't get help, you sure as heck could end up dead.

• Jim

If you are doing this by yourself, the best way is a slow way, taper down so the physical dependence part is manageable. I did that and it worked, took me a (long) while but I'm totally off now. Stay strong, and don't beat yourself up if you have a setback once in a while. Just continue the next day.