Would you relocate for work? ?

I just received a job offer from Amazon in Herndon, Va (DC Area), making 70k plus great benefits & stocks!  I currently live in Chicago. Would you take this position and relocate? They off a 15 lump sum payment for relocation fees. 

If you don't want the job, I might.

My only reservations are:

1. I'm not sure how much Amazon cares about protecting it's employees from COVID-19.

2. Northern Virginia is one of the most expensive places in America to live. $70,000 sounds fantastic, but the traffic is so unbearable there that unless they are like Facebook, which has buses that pick up employees and take them home every day, for free, your salary might get eaten up with getting to and from work each day. During rush hour, which is actually any time during the day, it can take 30 minutes just to get from one stop light to the next one.

• Amy

Yes, but make sure the salary is appropriate to the high cost of living in the DC area.

Yup! I’d leave. Why stay?? Travel and go to new places. If you don’t like it you can always quit. 

• I've relocated a couple times for work.

The company I'm on furlough from is headquartered in Northern Virginia (I live in Toronto and work from my home; I would normally be in the office one week a month).  It's a nice part of the country.  Close to Dulles and National Airports, winters not as brutal as Chicago (another nice part of America).  Schools (according to the people I've talked to there) are really good.  One complaint I heard a lot was traffic but if you live in Chicago you're probably used to traffic.  

$15K is a decent lump sum payment for relocation (my last relocation I got 8% of my salary, and they paid for the physical move (movers)).  Not sure if you plan on renting or buying.  

Start looking at housing/apartment costs (you can do this now).  If you own, you'll have to put your house on the market or rent it out.  I'd suggest making a trip to the area to look for housing; consider a long weekend.  

Personally I've no desire to live in America right now, but if you're there, Northern Virginia isn't bad.  It will feel similar to the Chicago suburbs (I used to have clients in downtown Chicago as well as Oak Brook and Naperville).  Just do your homework on cost of living.  One thing- most companies will require you to stay at the company for a period of time otherwise the relocation $$ has to be repaid (my last move required a 24-month stay).

well,it is more convenient if you work on your place. But if it is required by the company to relocate and if they will provide all the expenses for the relocation, why not? Anyway, you need a job, you must love your job.

If I was in your shoes, probably

What I would do isn't really relevant.  Why did you apply to this job?  Are you single or will other people (spouse/children) be impacted by a move?  What are your ties to the Chicago area?  How long have you been looking for work?  How comfortable are you dealing with major life changes?  Do you currently rent or own?

As others have noted, housing in the Northern Virginia/DC area is very expensive. You need to look at your current expenses/cost of living, taxes, and income, and compare that to the equivalent lifestyle costs in Herndon with the $70 salary. Will you be better off financially?  Do you have greater opportunity for growth?  

Absolutely I'd relocate. That's a great deal. BUT--keep in mind that you are moving to one of the most expensive places in the US for housing. 

I lived close to herndon as a child. (chantilly)

I think the cost of housing is very high. But I don't know how it compares to your part of chicago because chicago may be high too.  Its probably hard to get an apple to apples comparison without living there first.  Last I checked, the house my parents rented way back when is worth about 4 times what a similar house costs in Bham,AL. (where I live now)

So rent would be similarly higher if you are renting an apartment too.

And what if the job does not work out? You are stuck in a high cost of living area without a job.