CiCi
Lv 6
CiCi asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

What is the purpose of a probiotic?

I just bought a couple of the karma probiotic waters. They seem like regular flavored water

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

They repopulate the GI flora, which is where most of our immune system lies. I drink kefir on occasion, and it helps with my IBS- D

Lv 7
    1 month ago

probiotic = denoting a substance which stimulates the growth of microorganisms, especially those with beneficial properties (such as those of the intestinal flora).

They are supposed to be beneficial for gut health and digestion.

• 1 month ago

Prebiotics and probiotics are helpful if having a treatment of antibiotics. The more varied the better. This includes yogurt with live cultures and fermented in water cabbage and pickles. To repopulate good bacterium.

• Rico
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

They're supposed correct the balance of beneficial bacteria in the intestines.  Unless you have some sort of digestive issue, they’re probably not worth having unless you’ve been taking antibiotics for an extended length of time

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Probiotics if digested right will help the bacteria or flora in your large and small intestines it keeps them balanced! if you've had diarrhea then you know what happens when your flora is out of wack. It keeps the good bacteria strong and working so the food your stomach has broken down can have the nutrients and water absorbed and further broken down. 

Depending on the type of probiotic and if your a woman it can help prevent bladder infections, urinary track infections, yeast infections. Just find high quality ones that won't get destroyed by your stomach acid!For reference I'm a biology major 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Ian is correct-- probiotics are just hype. Adding certain yeasts can help with digestion, but that's a natural process that takes weeks. Probiotics are not "medicine" and unless you radically change your diet at the same time, they're only a waste of money.

• 1 month ago

The influence of the bacteria living in your gut seem to affect all kinds of bodily functions. Probiotics are meant to help you develop healthy gut flora which should improve your general health. That said, probiotics and gut flora are current buzzwords deployed by charlatans to separate you and your money. Just because something is called probiotic does not mean that it will have any beneficial effect.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i think its supposed to help your stomach

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.