Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesAtlanta · 2 months ago

Will the baggage check to the final destination still if I leave the airport during a layover?

I have a 17 hour layover in Finland and I’m currently living in a hotel in the airport. The immigration officer told me I can stay in the hotel but I cannot leave the airport. Does this mean the bag will still be checked to my final destination and I don’t have to go get it again? 

Yes, it's still checked to your final destination.

If the bag was supposed to be checked through, it doesn't matter what you do during the layover. The airline will check the bag through unless you cancel the flight.

From my experience, when you fly into a new "country" you need to collect your luggage prior to going through customs (passport check) and then recheck it again.

Example, I fly from the USA with an end destination in Germany, but my first flight stops in Paris where I change planes.  Even though Paris is not my end destination I need to collect my bags, go through EU customs and recheck my bags on to Germany.