Why do people always act surprised that I only want to work weekends?

I'm doing alright financially and don't care to explain that to an employer. I don't really need a time consuming job but it seems people don't want to hire weekend only help?

• Kelly

It depends on the needs of the employer, some employers their need is during the week for day shifts.

Myself if I was looking for a side job, I would only apply for positions that specifically mention they are looking for someone for the hours/days I was actually available.

I have a good job for my primary job and really don't need extra money but I like to stay busy so I've worked part time on the side at a bowling alley, golf course and right now I have a side job working for a Delta airlines subsidiary airline as a ticketing agent on weekends (the people who tell you your bag weighs too much).  One perk of that job is I can fly free, I'd almost work there free just for that benefit.

Retail certainly needs weekend help. I don't know why people would be surprised, some people work a full time job M-F and can only work nights or weekends.

Because most places need more availability than that. They need people to work a lot of hours. It's rare that they only need weekend help and these people that you're talking about probably don't know that you're doing alright financially because they don't know your personal business. But they don't need to either.

Some businesses do need weekend help - it may be their busiest time! Retail, restaurants & similar operations with heavy weekend business often will consider those willing to work full-days Saturday & Sunday. Great for full-time students, people looking for a second job, etc. As for Mon - Fri, you are "not available" - you could have a full-time day job, go to school, whatever, and simply cannot work those days.

I don't know why anyone is surprised at anything anymore. If that's all you want to work, fine. I certainly have no argument against it! 

retail and restraunts would love you.

true. most profressional jobs cant be done in two days you need to be there 24/4.

apply for store clerk cashier or janitor. or newwspaper delivery.

or since you appear to be rolling in it and work world aint going to bend itself just for open your own business.

sell greeting cards.

Jobs, like restaurant waitstaff, make most of their tips on weekends, so employers are fair to share those hours with all the employees and not give premium days to one employee on a regular basis.

Other than that scenario, I would think other employees would love weekends off while you work those days.

• garry

maybe because they havent got any work .

• Judy

Most employers need more flexibility, so will hire someone else.