Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 2 months ago

If masks don't protect me but protect others from me then why should I have to wear one?

If it is only protecting others and not me then why should I care? 

Stryder: Why should I have to protect others. I don't care about them. If it is not going to protect me I shouldn't have to wear it. 

Favorite Answer

I don't want to wear a mask but I do. I have a child. I don't think anything is going to kill him if I don't wear a mask. I'd rather not find out though one way or the other.

Mask and social distancing mandate or not just stay TF away from me and everything is good.

It DOES protect you as well. 

• J

The same reason drunk driving is illegal. You shouldn’t have to be told to care about others. Why are some people so selfish?

You wear it to protect others. But you can still catch it, from 1 - people not wearing masks. 2 - people not wearing them properly. 3 - if you touch a surface that has the covid bacteria on it and rub your nose/mouth, a mask is a barrier to stop the bacteria. And 4, if that's the thinking for most folk, this second wave is gonna be more of a killer. 

Edit - you don't protect others then it means it keeps spreading, maybe to someone you love and then they die or spend a month in critical condition. Which also means more lockdowns/restrictions (pubs now shutting at 10 in UK) and fines, panic buying etc. If everyone helped stop the spread then it means things go back to normal sooner. I Def hate the masks and everything else but they do more good in the long run. It's not about being a sheep, it's about trying to be safe. If you stop wearing a mask then so be it just don't complain if there's a tighter lockdown or your mum/dad etc catch it and die. Easy.