Will I get fired for this? ?

Just a little back story I’ve been at my full time job about 9 months. When the virus happened I started working from home. I’m an administrative assisting counselor. When I first started working from home it was fine but they started giving me more work and I was behind for awhile but then I caught up. Since August I’ve been behind and not been able to catch up. My job doesn’t allow overtime so I can’t work extra to make up the time. 

The reason I’m behind is because I’m virtual schooling my 3 kids which the school district asks the parents to be present and involved in the lessons. Normally my husband would help but he’s been splitting his time care of his sick brother and when he returns home every other week with him he is working his butt off to make up the time at his job so I’m stuck taking care of his brother too. To top it off my father has been living here too and he requires help with his medication and daily needs as well. I also still try to take my kids to their activities, deal with appointments and keep a somewhat clean stable house. My manager sent an email that said “if you are behind at any time let me know please. Review and advise and let me know if you can’t meet the goals and I can see what I can do”.

I can’t tell if she is mad or not but I feel like a failure and that I might get fired. I honestly do the work of 2/3 people and I feel like if ask for help they might reduce my hours or try to find someone else to do it. 

Favorite Answer

Consider reorganization! E.g. can you & the kids all set up your laptops around the dining table so you are present while they study & you do your work? Everybody needs to use headphones/earbuds. It might be a good motivator to the kids to see you working diligently while they work, too. Can you schedule meds for your father during your brief breaks from work (you do get to take a break same as in the office to go to the bathroom & whatnot!). Schedule housecleaning for weekends & everybody pitch in. Have you taught your kids to put their things away, make their own beds, set the dinner table properly, and perform other chores? It's part of their life-learning AND part of being a member of the family that everyone pitch in & help. Eliminate all non-critical items from your agenda - for each thing ask if it is ESSENTIAL, important, or not critical under current circumstances. Simplify meals, for example - make up a big batch on the weekend & freeze something for mid-week. Use a crockpot or put it all in the oven for one-pot meals.

Once you rethink the organizational aspects & give it a good workout, if you are still falling behind, you will have to talk to your employer, possibly ask to switch to part-time work due to school requirements to supervise your kids' schooling & care of ailing relatives.

seems like your boss is offering to ease some of your workload

Well, you could certainly BENEFIT from having your hours reduced, don't you think? You've got a lot on your plate. You need to talk to your supervisor and explain that you have a lot to do--and ASK her if she is happy with the work you are now doing--and if the work-load might be spread out differently or allocated better in order to keep it flowing properly. Perhaps if you don't claim any overtime, you could work at different hours in order to catch up. Or perhaps there are better ways to distribute what work you do.  You really need to have a talk with her about this, though. 

I hate to say it, but yes, you could be fired, or you could have your hours cut--or you could simply prioritize what IS important--such as cleaning and organizing in your house--to a lower priority to help you catch up. Or maybe your kids could pitch in on that front--or they could reduce their activities to help you. You shouldn't feel like a failure--you're doing a tremendous amount of work both on the job and off. That's not failure--that's being overwhelmed or overtasked. And that's not all your fault. 

She sounds like she's trying to get you to communicate via her email--you should call her and discuss everything over the phone.  And you can let her know you don't want to quit or be fired--and you'll do what you can to catch up as soon as possible. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 31 years.
  • garry

admin assistant counselor , then you must  know the answer , after all they wont hire idiots to do administration jobs . if your job is still there and if the company if it hasn't gone into solvency the you will have a job waiting .hen can say we have no vacany for you but must give you entitlements and not hire a replacement .

Well to ease stress you could hire a online or in person tutor for someone u trust.they may be understanding now.but may fire or you can just part time if it’s effecting pay.

Sorry to hear about your family situation, but if you have a reputation for falling behind and not being able to focus on your work, your manager probably is going to let you go.

Although you say you do the work of 2-3 people, your manager obviously does not think so. With all the distractions you cited, are you really giving your employer 40 focused hours of work?  I'm guessing you're not.

It's common for people to overestimate their contribution or abilities. It's also common for people to confuse their stress level with their productivity level.

Your manager probably is aware of what others in a similar position are achieving and is giving you her objective assessment.  It's a waste of your time to go online and try to get a second opinion from people far removed from the situation.

Sales are falling just about everywhere, and budgets are being cut.  Whose positions do you think the manager is going to cut first?  It's probably not going to be the star performers.

You could check with your HR department to see if you would qualify for FMLA, but that's only a temporary fix.  One way or another, you will need to buckle down and get the job done.

• L

YOU need to discuss ALL of this with your boss!!!  The sooner the better.  How would you feel if you were in your bosses shoes and your employee said NOTHING and continued to get further and further behind?????????

• n2mama

So have you communicated to your manager that you are behind and will miss deadlines or expectations? Because if she has clearly told you to communicate with her and you haven’t, while being a month or more behind on work, that might be the bigger problem for her. Yes, the pandemic has required a shift in how many of us work, and a huge challenge in how to juggle work and home responsibilities. But if you have three children you are providing home schooling support for 6-8 hours a day (not to mention providing all the other basic care and feeding for), plus your other family obligations, when are you working? You say you aren’t allowed overtime, but are you even giving your employer the 40 hours a week you are getting paid for? Because it doesn’t sound like you are, which is why you are behind.

You are in a lose/lose situation. You are not meeting your job requirements, so yes, could absolutely risk losing your job over this (the reasons behind your lack of performance are largely immaterial, the company still needs the work done and are paying for it, so if you aren’t delivering the results, that’s a problem), but can’t neglect your children and their needs to only focus on work. You are far from the only mother in this situation, and the long term impact to working women of this exact type of corona fallout is going to be huge and long lasting. Unfortunately I don’t have much in the way of advice, other than to be open in your communication with your manager. Make sure she is aware of the status of different projects or tasks, and how far behind you are. Yes, that may put you at risk, but not telling her puts you at bigger risk. Good luck.

It doesn’t sound like she’s angry, just concerned and trying to help

"The reason I’m behind is because I’m virtual schooling my 3 kids" 

I have empathy for parents during Covid, but your kids and your brother-in-law and your absent husband are not your employer's problem.  You are behind in your work because you are doing other things when you are supposed to be working.

IMO you *SHOULD* be fired and replaced with a worker who will work when they're supposed to and be honest on their time-sheet. 

Sorry, not the answer you wanted to hear, but it is what it is.