Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Why are atheists unable to see that there is purposeful design in nature, when it is obvious to everyone else?

I think because we are the ones assigning the purpose to nature, where as "designers" ourselves, see no "design" where nature stops at our "natural" resources but we use our natural resources to design. We can design to imitate nature, but nature has no intelligence to imitate actual designers. As a matter of fact, we often use our intelligence to correct mistakes from nature.

Deep philosophical questions should not be settled by majority vote.  If I espouse a view that contradicts that of the other seven billion people on earth, my view might still be closer to the truth.

There is function in nature.  Water might cut a channel through erosion but that doesn't mean God designed a gutter.

• Cowboy

Sure - the pattern is known as biological evolution - the best supported scientific theory ever!

Why can't you see that ALL religions are man-made attempts at trying to explain the secrets of our own nervous systems?

• I see you know Ptah . No denying his creative abilities .

When you use "why" on here to ask a question it almost always implies that you don't really want an answer.  You just want people to listen to your opinion.

• Because unlike theists we are able to examine our perceptions instead of relying on our own beliefs as the criterion for truth.

It's only "obvious" to those who are too intellectually lazy and narcissistic to seek answers outside themselves. 

• Rick G

Atheism is a religion. You believe what your "ministers" preach. 

They are taught that random events are a creative force, and since that first flash of light at the moment of the formation of the universe, that random force "created" all the laws of physical existence, and it was just a matter of time that those "random" laws would create systems that allow life to exist.

This is an example of a “false consensus effect”.  You believe everyone sees things as you do - but they don’t.  In reality most people don’t see a purposeful design in nature.  Much of nature is random.  

It is not obvious for me. I know things make sense. Purpose is another thing. Also I don't care about gods, they obviously don't exist for everyone else. It's hard to be fooled by yourself, easier to be fooled by someone else.