Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Are you estranged from any member of your family? Do you think this will ever be rectified?

Do other family members try to force the issue and try to make you end whatever caused this? Should others keep out of this ?

• East

I don’t want to have anything to do with my uncle.  He dislikes me and has made it clear for years.  He’s also verbally attacked my brother and me and didn’t ever apologize.  Now that I’m an adult and can choose who to associate with, I don’t contact him and do not go to family events where he’ll be.  This will never be rectified and I couldn’t care less.

As we go through life, we encounter unhealthy and toxic people.  Our only defense against them is to stay away from them and not get involved in their drama or problems.

You can't fix them and they won't take responsibility for their own actions.

You can't accept their constant excuses...why should you?  They're not your problem and engaging with them brings problems.

Yes, others should keep out of your business.  And you need to remind them often.

My sister married an alcoholic, she became one after a few years, and they both got into the heavy drug thing too. There was always drama, then it starting to become really hateful. I decided life was too short to be involved in the constant fighting and other bs. They had 2 girls, poisoned them with their bs, the oldest joined the Navy and moved out on her 18 birthday. I'm not sure what her other daughter is up to? I'm sure they were told I was the most selfish and evil person on earth. I never hear from them either. My father always wanted us to reconcile, but he understands where I'm coming from and doesnt push the issue. I like to think someday, maybe we could be friends again..but the realistic me knows that will never happen. We talked for a few minutes at our mothers funeral, but it was just small talk and bs. What's done is done...Jesus may forgive, I dont...

My Brother married a mooching taker.....it's all about giving, gifting, asking others to buy....for her. After years of this i stopped said no more to holiday dinners, birthday gifting, nothing...go mooch else where....6 years they dont even bother to call,...if anyone mentions a thing on this topic i tell them straight up, its none of your business and every story has 2 sides.

It simply isn't worth my effort to make them happy.

yes, most of my family wont contact me unless its my birthday or a funeral

Oh Heck no, I do not want them in my life ever, its be 16 years and I do not miss them at all. All 3 of them.

Yes i'm estranged from my sister.  And no, no one's ever tried to get us back together or to shame me for my decision to sever that relationship.  It's no one's business anyway. 

If someone did try to force me to make amends, i'd tell them they were intruding on my personal private life.  Because that's what they'd be doing.  

• Kelly

Immediate family, no I'm not estranged from them.  

For immediate family member sometimes a third party being involved can be a peace keeper or help to bridge things.  Generally someone who can stay neutral who gets along with both parties.  However sometimes, that can make things worse too.

I do have a couple hater cousins but well that's their problem.  I get along fine though with their siblings (also my cousins), their parents and even their kids & spouses.  At family events, we're cordial at best.

Some of it's me, some of it's them.

Yes.

Probably not.

No, because they are estranged from her too.

Yes.

She can come back to the family any time she wants.  The door is open. 

• I'm estranged from nearly everyone EXCEPT for my oldest sister. But this is mostly because of BS expectations they had of me that I wanted NO part of whatsoever.

I don't hate them...I'm just disassociated with everyone. One day that may be rectified, but today sure isn't the day for it.