Which was the 1st automotive producer that started galvanizing cars to protect them from  rusting? And when?

Good question.    

. Galvanized steel  or any other  plating will rust again from cut/machined or welded  sections Would have to be re-dipped or replated after  its worked.. Maybe Rolls or Cord/Auburn/Dusenberg did in early days. 

I think moist just prime and paint.

Model Ts had Vanadium steel to slow corrosion.

Some Chevys like Vegas and  Citations started rusting on the showroom  floor. My '80 has a big hole in it.

DeLoreans were stainless.

Many undercoat on their own to preserve them. Even if no salt. snow on roads, it also dampens road noise some. Ive undercoated 2 used cars, oil pans, too.

• F

No idea but saying the sheet metal manufacturers do the galvanising is rubbish.

A part pressed from a galvanised sheet will rust from the cut edges. The pressed parts must ge galvanised.

• Evil C

Why does this sound like a question you'd find on an automotive history test?

I don't know about the first, but I believe it was AMC that pushed it into the mainstream. 

1960s,   American companies started using it in some outer panels.  However it was the Japanese that really pushed it.   US companies would not do much of it until suddenly they had to compete with Japanese companies that used it.   I remember the 1970 Chevy Vega that would rust out as it sat in the show room.    What really pushed it was Canadian standards which required far better rust proofing.  Thanks Canada.

Car makers did  not do it.  It was done where they make metal (the foundry)  They mass produce sheet metal and for the auto industry it was galvanized there.

Using Google to answer that question is a lot easier than posting the question on Yahoo.  The answers are a lot more accurate as well.  Have a nice day.

Maybe someone has more authoritative info - but from my recollection:  Ford began advertising galvanized rocker panels in 1960 or 61  (the full-size Ford body was all new in '60 - Merc and Lincoln were carry overs . . . . Ford also heavily advertised lifetime enamel paint that "never needs waxing".....yeah, sure).  I recall that my '61 T-Bird had some galvanized bits.

Problem with the galvanized rockers was making paint adhere if they tried galvanized on the outside surface - and it promoted worse rust in adjoining sheet metal especially where it met non-treated steel.  

Other makers started using more galvanized bits - American Motors was the first to fully immerse the body shell in rustproofing primers - - Chrysler had rust problems starting in 1957 so started partially immersing theirs (I think in 1960) .......but the best solution was using Zincrometal for entire panels such as fenders . . . . first used on the new '76 Cadillac Seville introduced in '75 but not advertised so much  (admit that a Cadillac could rust ?- never) . . . but the new Chevrolet Chevette - also a 1976 model - heavily advertised that much of the car was made with Zincrometal.

• I'm not sure, but it may be Volvo  

I have not Googled the answer because that's what cheats do.