Looking for the title/author of a short sci-fi story about a domed isolated city where people are hypnotized?

I'm looking for the title/author of a short sci-fi story about a domed isolated city where people live in hypnosis, to see the city as lush, green and beautiful when in fact it's a horrible industrial inferno. The protagonist starts to see reality, thinking he's having horrible apocalyptic visions, when in fact he's seeing the city the way it actually is. A blind character who knows the truth tells him he's not having visions, and that everyone undergoes a hypnotic treatment to see the city as beautiful.

• 1 week ago

Found it: the story is "Jesting Pilot" by Lewis Padgett (joint pseudonym of Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore). First published in "Astounding Science Fiction" May, 1947.

Not a short story, but this sort of describes the City of Oz.  I've been involved in SF for 70 years, but not read this one

• Zac Z

I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with this story but it sounds like something that Philip K. Dick would write - he has quite a few stories that have the protagonists question the reliability of what they perceive as reality.

Stargate SG1 did an episode like this in the last 3 years of its episodes.