Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheatre & Acting · 4 weeks ago

Is this acting course worth it?

I have the chance to do a screen acting course in London next summer. It's with professional actors in a professional studio and it would be a dream of mine, BUT it's going to cost me £4000 and that will be nearly all I have at the time.

SO if it doesn't lead me anywhere and I don't end up getting any acting work afterwards, it will mean I have spent all my money and will be absolutely stuck.

I could use the money for other things, like getting a car and so then I can get a job and become more secure in life... But acting is a passion of mine.

Do you think it's worth taking the risk of doing this acting course and the possibility of it taking me nowhere?

Would you take the risk if it's something you love?

• Cogito
    Favorite Answer

Unless you've already graduated from a top drama school after a full-time three-year course and have loads of stage experience, it would be useless.

In the UK you won't be able to get signed by any genuine agency unless you're a graduate of a school such as RADA or Central. And without a top agent, you won't get any good auditions.

You should also bear in mind that I've met several RADA graduates who have quit acting within a couple of years because, even with that qualification, they failed to get any paid roles at all.

Almost all actors have to work long hours in an 'ordinary' job just to afford their rent, bills, food, etc.  Getting more then a few odd days' paid acting work a year, at low rates of pay, is rare.

I'd advise joining a good local community theatre, learning from the experienced actors there - many of whom will probably be drama school graduates, ex-professionals, etc, performing regularly and having a wonderful time.

It won't pay you anything but you'll still have time to work a normal 9-5 job, and earn a decent living.  I know dozens of amateur actors and they do far more acting and have a much better experience than most 'professionals' do.

Good luck!

Don't waste your money - get yourself two or three agents - everything nowadays is "asked" by photograph.

• John P

I agree with Cogito. The opportunities for anybody, even with excellent training, to make a serious career at acting are very limited.

If you enjoy acting, join a local drama group. Hint: Personable young male actors do tend to be in short supply in such groups.

For many years I enjoyed acting, and doing techy bits, in a local drama group.  I have even done prompt, once! (Not a job anybody wants to do, but somebody has to do it!)

If you want to be famous, you must have a dolls face and can never blink, when the camera is close and that is not me....I tried not to blink and it is hard to believe how the great actors can  not blink keeping the dolls face before you for a minute or thirty seconds whenever the closeup occurs.....If you can do it and can sell your dolls face, you could be famous for playing the different character game is hard path to follow so be always act as yourself and let them judge you acting to correct what they see that could bring out how you express the feeling of love, fear, crying and other emotions that can occur but always act as yourself expressing these emotions for it will be you they will love....Set this acting career as one of goals you have for yourself to do in your short 70 years of life, add Christ and let him open the doors and close them for being in his hand, God will look upon the intent of  your heart.....

follow your passion...by the way - first you should find a job and then you'll think about car...

Lumina Land!!!!