Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 month ago

How can a person learn patience ?

apart from training 

• Raja
    1 week ago

By experience. 1. A strong hit in life make a person realize the necessity of patience. 2.When favorable things happen by their patience, they realize the value of the patience.

Order something from a foreign country during Covid19

• Dejair

The search for harmony is a constant zeal to honor the consciousness being true and happy . Thou art thee being !

• L

Patience is NOT a 'learned' trait - it is in your Genes.  My mother had no patience but my father did - so I got my patience from my father.

As someone said, this is a psychology question, but it's one of those questions where psychology and philosophy come together. Asian traditions, Buddhist meditation etc. are very useful. What we call mindfulness, something that comes from Buddhism, has been adopted by therapists all over the world. I have details about learning this in my recent Psychology answers and you're welcome to click on my name and read.

Focus on empathy.  Value community. Don’t put yourself first. 

If you are waiting on people—maybe a boss is taking awhile to get back to you because they are overwhelmed, maybe the change you are waiting to happen has trepidation for others involved.  Ask yourself questions on why there is a delay and ask yourself, “were I in the other’s shoes, why might I be so slow?”  Then find understanding.  Give yourself a time-line when you think they need a reminder and don’t stew. 

Patience isn’t just about waiting.  It’s also a word we use when others act rude, silly, slow to understand—that we don’t throw our hands up in the air and have a tantrum, but we keep working it out with them. Not having road rage, that’s patience for a stranger.  It has to do with tolerance combined with empathy.  Patience says “I value you.”  So maybe you don’t scream when the kid is scaling the furniture but explaining why they need to get down, keeping your calm.  Maybe you don’t scream at your boyfriend who came home drunk again, but let him sleep it off and talk about it calmly in the morning.  You just ask yourself, how would I want them to treat me.

Here is the rub, patience can lead to being a doormat. Especially if you use it because you don’t like conflict.    Like, sticking around when you got skipped for a promotion multiple years.  Letting yourself stay in an abusive relationship.  That kind of patience isn’t grace, it’s avoidance. 

That being said, if you don’t like what you see when you empathize, draw some lines in the sand.

• j153e

Perhaps Descartes' method may help you.

Rene, when quite a child, loved his playmate, a beautiful girl who suffered "cross-eyed"ness.  For a good portion of his adult life, Rene was fascinated with cross-eyed women.

When he realized the general association, he was freed of his compulsivity, and went on to develop his notion of free will, or the power of self to change. 

If you are fortunate to identify your impulsivity, perhaps being given too much too soon, or perhaps having a strong, demanding will, or simply a more addictive personality, you could reason like Locke when you have a warring in your members, and follow a social harmony in order to patiently achieve a more perfected personality.

Related:

Understanding Yourself by Mark Profit;

Answers by Mother Meera;

The Power of Now by Tolle.

A behavioral psychologist would have a better idea than a philosopher. Go to the PSYCHOLOGY  forum and ask there, and please learn the different between the two disciplines.