Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Help with my son?

My son is 10, he keeps getting up in middle of the night and sneaking his electronics (switch, iPad, school computer) 

I taken them away for a time limit, I am hid them, I had time write a letter telling me why it is wrong, I  even put them in my closet (that night he took my phone) 

I am lost how else to get though this, I ask him why, he says “I am bored”  

Can anyone help me?

maybe you should have him go to sleep a little later so hes not up in the middle of the night

You take it all away from him, or break his fingers.

First question is why is he up at night in the first place? Can he not sleep? Maybe melatonin could help or cutting electronics an hour before bed so his mind has time to wind down a bit. 

Second thing is maybe sitting down with him and working out something he can do (besides electronics) if he can't sleep. Books, toys, maybe listen to some music (nothing to upbeat). Explain that the blue light in electronics mimics daylight to our brains and will make his brain think it's time to be awake, causing sleep problems to persist. 

Third thing is if he sneaks his electronics during the night, he doesn't get them during the day (besides for school). You do the crime, you do the time. Find a place to lock those things away and keep your phone close by. If he sneaks your phone, his no daytime electronics ban gets extended.

Last thing is compromise. If all else fails, try compromise. No switch, computer or phone, BUT he could maybe have a little iPad time IF you could find a blue light filter app or if he agrees to use blue light glasses. This way the blue light won't keep him up but he still gets a chance to focus his mind elsewhere until he can fall back asleep.

Also you may want to consult a doctor about his sleep issues, shall they persist. 

• J

If he’s waking up at night to play with your phone, the problem is that he can’t sleep. He’s probably trying to find something to do to pass the time until he’s tired enough to go back to sleep. I always wake up at night and watch tv for a couple hours before going back to sleep. You should consider giving him some melatonin before bed or when he wakes up. It’s a natural sleep hormone, and it’s very safe. I had a lot of trouble sleeping as a child, and it was incredibly frustrating. You should give him something to do to help him get tired. Maybe let him watch tv for a little while. I think you’re focused on him breaking the rules when you should be more focused on why he can’t sleep.