Im having unbelievable trouble with the C Major chord for guitar?

I am very unable to get access to a guitar teacher and online videos aren’t helping unfortunately.

I know the exact shape of the C Major open (not barre chord)

The main extreme problem for months has been getting my first finger to not mute the first string. 

I’ve checked my thumb position, im on my finger tips and my fingers are fairly skinny.

I need help extremely badly I was wondering if anyone could offer some

You have to kind of 'arch' your fingers so that they press straight down on the strings to prevent them from muting out nearby strings - but there are a couple of factors.

The size of your hands/length of your fingers, the type of guitar (classical acoustic with a straight neck vs tapered, thick vs thin neck - or a compound radius neck, as well as properly adjusted action) may affect your ability to properly play some chords.

• Me2

Tony B suggests "Make sure that the strings aren't too high at the nut", and that's certainly something that should be looked into.  Any guitar technician can tell in a matter of seconds (and at no charge) whether any of the strings are too high at the nut.  The "capo at the first fret" test is a good one and, if any string becomes significantly easier to fret, it's too high at the nut.  Also check that the spacing at the nut between the E and B is not less than that of the other strings.  Spacing is measured between near edges of adjacent strings, not center-to-center.

Nut height must be professionally adjusted, as it requires special tools and expertise, plus great precision.  There's just a fraction of a millimetre between optimal height and too low, so don't consider DIY an option.

Sad Eyed said "Your first finger shouldn't be touching the bottom E String", but of course meant the treble (or top) E, not the bass E

Guitar position is important.  The back should be vertical or nearly so, with the neck rising from body to head at 25° to 35°.  The thumb should go across the back of the neck (not in line with it), with the pad more-or-less at the centerline and behind the 2nd fret (for C and F chords).

Assuming you're doing what you are supposed to be doing I'm afraid that practice is the only answer. Everyone has that problem when they start off.

The only thing I can suggest is that you practice just fretting the second string without muting the first and third strings. You also need to make sure that your finger arched over the strings and pressing directly down on the seconds string (that your finger isn't lying across the strings).

Make sure that the strings aren't too high at the nut too. A good way to find that out is to put a capo at the first fret. If playing the C shape suddenly becomes easy then the slots innthe nut probably aren'5 deep enough.

Regarding another answer you have, if your index finger “is touching the bottom E” then you really do have problems!

That really depends on which position  you play it in - the "open" position (1st-3rd frets), as an "A" chord (3rd-5th frets) or "E" chord (8th-10th frets).  For the "open" position, I often play it with 1st finger/1st fret, 2nd finger/2nd fret, 3rd finger on the 3rd fret "G" note on the E(6th) string & 4th finger/3rd fret on the"C" note on the A (5th) string.  This gives a fuller, more ringing sound, & sounds especially good on a 12-string guitar.    

As "Proton" notes - it's impossible to practice too much.  Try doing rapid changes between the "open" "C" & "G7th".  It'll be automatic fairly quickly.  

You just need to practice arching your fingers so you don't touch the string. Practice practice practice.

• Maybe you are pressing the strings too hard?  Your first finger shouldn't be touching the bottom E String.  Are you playing with steel or nylon strings?