Car suddenly started dying when I give it gas?

If I put my 97 civic in gear and give it gas very slowly it will drive. If i give it the normal amount it will bog out and die. It was fine until literally tonight when it suddenly started doing this. Car has been well taken care of. I parked it and then went to start it up again and it acted like it was out of gas which it wasn't but I put fresh gas in it anyway to be sure and finally got it to start.Now it starts rough and like I said if I go to give it gas as I am letting off the clutch, it bogs out and dies but I can give it gas slowly and rev it up in neutral no issue but give it the proper amount of gas and it bogs and dies instantly. Or if I am in neutral and try to give the normal amount of gas it also dies but again, slowly give it gas and it's fine. It's so weird. I was able to drive it home but kind of at a loss. It is clearly getting fuel, spark, and air. Maybe not enough gas? filter? Let me know what you think. Thanks

• D50
    Favorite Answer

It's starving. Not enough gas is getting to the motor. Fuel pump, filter, fuel line, something like that must be the problem.

I believbe that is a carbureted engine. ENGINE COLD? Cold outside air temp? Engine is probably running too lean until it warms up. Possibilities are faulty choke or faulty coolant temp sensor. Other things to check are mass air flow sensor, EGR valve, fuel flow, vacuum leaks. If you lack the tools / skills / knowledge / experience, take it to a competent Honda specialist. 

maybe you should get a mechanic to check it out