Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Is eating too slowly an eating disorder?

• .

No. Eating is eating. Very slow is better than very fast (very fast can lead to stomach upset). Slow eats consume the same # of calories than their faster eating counterparts. Some just aren't in a hurry to eat.

no lol its just good eating habits

No it's not, and in fact it's considered to be healthier to eat slower, as this gives the body time to recognize that there's food in the stomach. It can prevent overeating. It might be one of the more common factors in why people who eats faster than those who takes their time, are also overweight. Those who gulps their food down are more inclined to go back for a second or third helping.

No. They say you should chew each mouthful 16 times. But who actually counts. Their point is to make sure you chew properly before swallowing. I like to take my time eating, I find it relaxing which makes it pleasurable.

No, it is just being more mindful of when you are full and is healthier than eating too fast and getting indigestions. However, from experience, I struggle a little with my weight, and when I'm dieting and purposely trying to lose/restrict, I do eat slower. But "eating too slowly" is NOT considered an eating disorder on its own. It may or may not be a very small characteristic of an eating disorder. 

Lol it is called not choking to death