Anonymous

Why is my dad refusing to keep paying child support when I am 21 and going to college and can’t work full time?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

First, you have to look at the terms of the court order which requires your father to pay child support to your mother.  Some divorce decrees end child support at 18, while in some states payments must continue if the child is in college.  There is also a possibility your father is still required to pay child support to your mother, but is unable to do so for other reasons.  For example, right now many absent parents have been unable to maintain their payments due to unemployment caused by the pandemic.  If he is able and obligated to pay now, however, your mother should go to court to force payment.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You are on your own.

• Willie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He isn't obligated to pay unless he wants to, so it's up to you to look for work and go to college part-time.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

you dad had to stop paying when you 18 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Court orders of child support typically end with the month the child turns 18, although in cases, parents do agree to continue child support if the child is in full-time education and under 21. You can ask your father to help you with school costs, but he is under no legal obligation. You're an adult. Furthermore, 80% of American college students work at least 20 hrs/week to help pay their school and/or living expenses.

• fcas80
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Please give us your dad's phone number so we can call him to ask him for you.

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Depends on the child agreement when your parent divorced. When my sister in law divorce she had it in the agreement that the father was responsible for her college tuition and health insurance until she was 22 or 23. 

You need to read the divorce child care agreement.  Only if It is in the agreement that he will pay child support until you are 21, he doesn’t have to pay.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

By law, child support ends at age 18. In some instances it may continue while someone is in college if it was agreed to in the original document, but that money would be paid to your mom, not you.

• 1 month ago

You are confusing different issues I believe.  Child support -- financial support paid to a custodial parent by a non-custodial parent for the care in a dependent child -- ends when the child is 18.  If your parents divorce and child custody agreements didn't specifically cover college tuition, I don't know why you'd assume your father would be covering your college expenses after you turned 18.

It is between you, your father, and your mother to determine whether or not either parent can or will pay for college.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There are many child support agreements that continue a parent paying child support beyond the age of 18 so long as the child remains in full-time attendance at school, almost always including secondary school (meaning amid high school senior, a child's support doesn't just abruptly end upon a child's 18th birthday but continues until done with school) but also often including post-secondary school. 

It is not uncommon at all for a child support agreement to agree on support through college, including agreement to pay all or part of tuition, room and board, health insurance, and/or books and incidentals. If your dad is refusing, then he either is in violation of his child support agreement or has completed the terms of his child support agreement, but as to his reasons, the possibilities are myriad.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.