Is Gifting A Laptop Good? ?

It's something my girlfriend would like.  It's a spontaneous gift.  Together for a few years now.  Wonder if it would be considered too much (knowing how much a laptop can be).

That is a pretty big present.  When it comes to this sort of thing I suggest you ask yourself if you were to do so and your girlfriend were to break up with you a 2 weeks later, would you think she just used you to get the big present?  If so, buying the laptop is a bad idea.

Unless she has something specific in mind and made that known, then I would say no. Too many factors that go into picking the perfect laptop for somebody. Instead I would maybe offer to buy her one within a certain price range and go shopping for it together. That way it still is like a date but she gets what she wants and you don't have to break the bank.

That depends on lots of factors you haven't shared. A few questions to ponder:

Does your income make this not a big deal purchase as a gift? It could make her quite uncomfortable if this is a big expense for you.

Do you routinely buy her expensive gifts for no occasion? Then this would just be another such gift.

Is there a reason she would especially like it right now, rather than waiting for a gift-giving occasion? (If her laptop is acting up or has broken, for instance.)

Do you expect something in return other than her appreciation and gratitude? All men need to understand that money spent on her doesn't equal sexual service of any kind.

Will she owe you a similarly expensive gift in return?

But if you can afford it and she wouldn't feel weird about receiving it, why not?

One caveat: What if she has specific ideas about what her next laptop should and should not have? I'm typing this on a gifted laptop that is not what I've have chosen. I really wish I'd been able to choose its features.