Is there etiquette concerning a Housewarming registry? ?

I recently became a first time home owner. As I was packing up my old home a friend asked if there would be a housewarming registry. Since I wasn't able to have a formal housewarming due to Covid-19 I said I didn't think so. She persisted and said Target had housewarming registries. Told her I would take a look. She proceeded to pester me every time we spoke asking if I had set up the registry. Finally I did set it up and told her it was completed. She said she would take a look. Well rather than buy me a gift off my registry she brought me something that wasn't even on it, a virtual Target Gift card. She couldn't even be bothered to look at my registry. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the gift card but it makes no sense to me why she would insist on a registry being created, then buy nothing off of it.

• drip
    Favorite Answer

I think it rather tacky to set up a registry for gifts because you move into a house.

You never should of given into your friends constant harassment. 

You could of said oh no You don’t need to buy me a gift at all. Or A house plant would be great. 

I agree this was weird of them to do. Kind of strange. 

I would of said When I can have people over why not bring a bottle of wine. But thank you no, I will not be setting up a registry. 

Even if you did have a housewarming party you don’t set up a registry for it. 

If you didn't want to register, why did you? All you  had to do was say, "Thanks, but I'd rather not".

Yes, there is etiquette, and that is that anyone who views the registry is welcome to choose something on it, or choose something NOT on it if they would rather give something else. That's it.

How do you know she didn't look at your "gift registry?"  There are many reasons why she didn't go with something on your list.  Perhaps there was nothing in her budget or maybe she was looking to see if you had a certain gift that wasn't on the list.

A registry is just a list of suggestions of things that you would like. It's not a list that people are forced to buy from.

Maybe this friend couldn't afford anything on your list?

There is no one golden rule when it comes to a gift registry.  Some people do not set up a registry, some do so with specific people in mind.  A gift card, for some, seems impersonal but the advantage is the recipient can purchase specifically what they want/need.  Perhaps your friend, once she saw your gift registry, could not decide what to buy so decided it would be best if you choose.

i dont think so

A gift registry is just a list of suggestions.   Gifts are ALWAYS up to the discretion of the giver.  Your friend did nothing wrong.

She decided to give you money and let you choose your own gift.  That's hardly something to complain about.

IMO it was horribly tacky to set up a gift registry.   You are a grown adult and a homeowner.   No one needs to buy you a gift and you shouldn't have suggested it was expected by setting up a registry.  Even if you had hosted a party, gifts really aren't expected.  Traditional housewarming gifts are symbolic things like bread, wine, salt...

If you have no backbone to stick with, "No, I do not expect gifts and will not be creating a registry", that's your own damn fault.   Don't get all pissy because someone gave you money.   The appropriate response is to be grateful for their unexpected generosity.

WTH is wrong with people these days?