Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Do you give your dog food with grains?

...or do you feed them a strict no grain diet? My pup gets a mix of meat and grains.

I see a lot of divided opinions on here about whether dogs need grains, if they are omnivores or carnivores, etc. I always thought dogs were opportunistic omnivores and need roughage here and there for their digestion. You don't have to be rude in your answer or rude to others, just want to know what you guys think.  

Favorite Answer

I do now. Went to the vet over the weekend for boosters and a checkup. I had mentioned the over the last 2 weeks, his poop had not been its best. She asked what we were feeding him and I said he was on grain-free everything. She said it was not good for my dog and to gradually switch to something with grains in it, or add in some brown rice/cooked oatmeal here and there. When she listened to his heart and tummy, she heard a lot of gurgling, a tell-tale for her that a dog needs some roughage to digest. And he's only over a year, so it's common for dogs under 2-3 years to develop allergies to foods, or have them cause indigestion, when it never happened before.

I'm going to guess the boosters are the cause for the discolored poop he currently has, but it's getting browner, and FIRMER. He's on a chicken and rice kibble with a wet food mixed in that also has some rice in it. My vet said to change over completely in a week's time, so that's what we're doing and already seeing good changes. His fecal sample showed nothing; no parasites, worms, blood, nothing, so she's 98% sure it was the grain-free causing his tummy problems. It's looking like she was 100% right.

And it's up to the individual to do what's best for THEIR dog. Many dogs thrive on grain free and raw, sure. I'm just going by my vet's advice for MY dog. My mom also gives her dog grains and many people I know give their dogs brown rice, oatmeal, some veggies thrown in. It's not uncommon to do either/or, but my vet said that grains are good for dogs. They aren't the enemy. The most common allergies according to my vet are beef, cow dairy, corn, and soy, so avoid those if I can help it. I don't think he has a problem with beef, just grain free in general. 

You are correct.

Even in the wild dogs eat plant food.   Often they are eating it out of the digestive tracts of the herbivores they kill for food.

There's nothing wrong with grain-free if the dog does ok on it (it's notorious for causing diarrhea in some dogs).   Be aware that even "grain-free" foods have a lot of carbs.   Instead of wheat, corn or oats they have peas and potatoes, etc. 

There is an established link between grain-free diet rich in legumes and cardiomyopathy in dogs.   It is a very small risk statistically so each dog owner has to decide whether there is any actual benefit to peas/potatoes over grain.

Until dog food was "INVENTED" there were no grains in a dog's diet, unless some human threw them left over bread or rice. 

Wolves and feral canines DO NOT GET (or need) grains.  When is the last time anybody saw or recorded a wolf, dog or coyote attack on a corn of grain field???  DON'T make me SPEW coffee - all over my KEYBOARD!!!  Dog food was invented to help farmers sell and find uses for EXCESS GRAINS. (That is FACT.) 

Some vets are insisting dogs (now) need grains since there was a small study (largely on deep chested dog breeds with higher genetically based congestive HEART FAILURE) in which they "concluded" they did better or could mitigate the congestive heart issue - when put back on grains.  But tons of dogs fed non-grain based food, NEVER GOT heart failure.....

(OH and to Frankenstein - I would HOPE the Vet would HEAR sound sounds when they listened to my dog's heart or hear GURGLING sounds - when listening to the  stomach or digestive tracts).  NEVER been INFORMED a dog who was doing digestion (or alive) NOT have its heart or digestive tract NOT MAKE ANY "sounds".

OF COURSE (don't look behind the curtain at OZ) aka the fact that places like PURINA, MARS (formerly candy company) & Nestle (who NOW own the majority of all dog food companies) just happen to FUND said study and fund most vet schools, vet scholarships & underwrite or fund vet EQUIPMENT. 

These MEGA FOOD companies are still fighting (tooth & nail) the small independent dog food manufacturers that make non-grain dog foods or the fact that many dogs are (when allergy tested) having ISSUES with COOKED MEATS or grains  -which BTW - are NOT (REPEAT *NOT*) a natural part of a FERAL dog or wolf 's diet.

Dogs fed a raw meat & bones diet often DO benefit from roughage, which can be from sweet or white potatoes or from a source of leafy greens (example) formerly frozen, pureed, lightly steamed or fermented (as they would have gotten GREENS or tiny amount of grains) already largely digested.... from the digestive tract of a ruminant, varmint, or bird's CRAW.  Dog food is also heavy cooked..... removing many precious nutrients, and anti-oxidents.  But again, you are not supposed to **NOTICE** that.

Many dogs can "get by" fine on MANUFACTURED, heavily carbohydrate (grain based) dog food.  My holistic vet says her clients (both cats & dogs) and I (from bad experiences on any and all dog foods) find we prefer to feed RAW (with greens).  To each, his own choice.

I just lost my last dog this past February, but we did feed her Taste of the Wild which is a grain free food.  She DID have a grain intolerance, thus the reason for a grain freed diet.  Just within the last week we captured a feral kitten, and now we are also feeding him grain free Taste of the Wild all stages cat food.

• Maxi

I feed raw and bone...so raw meat, organs, fish, eggs with shell, additional roughage would include baked potato and baked sweet potato, maybe some roast veg...... but no I do not feed any grains, grains are for chickens