Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 4 weeks ago

In the western world, every household has a washing machine but Americans don’t. They prefer to use communal laundries. What’s the deal?

Update:

Shelton Cooper isn’t poor. Frasier isn’t poor

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

many in America live in apartments and the landlord will not allow washers and dryers  in the apartments.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

"In the western world, every household has a washing machine..."  FALSE

"...but Americans don’t. They prefer to use communal laundries."  ALSO FALSE

Were you repeatedly dropped on your head as a child or are you just shitstirring because you don't want to do your homework?  Sweeping generalisations based on very limited life experience are best avoided.  I believe there is an old admonishment to keep your mouth shut and ears open least you remove all doubt of being a fool.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Not every house hold has a washer/dryer in the western world. What bunk.

Americans do not prefer a laundry mat. If we don’t have to use them, we don’t. Most single family homes do have a washer and dryer in the US. 

Apartment buildings  have shared laundry facilities. Few apartments buildings  have a washer and dryer in each apartment. 

Your assumptions are incorrect. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

1920s Residential Blocks as seen in Pasadena were not equipped with washing machines in the apartment when they were built and washing machines are not usually retrofitted into open plan apartments where there is no utility room.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

My washer and dryer is mine, so for sure not communal...

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Water bills can be high. If landlords allowed washers, the bill would shoot up like crazy.

• 4 weeks ago

They live in apartments which don't have washing machines.

• CB
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Basing EVERYTHING you know on TV shows- YOU are a frigging JOKE! 

• 4 weeks ago

Most home have washings machines. Renters often dont cause they move house more often.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Huh???  Every American I know has a washer and dryer.  We do not prefer to use a laundromat.  Only the very poor do that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.