Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Does a kid that gets raped at the age of 3-4-5 fail later in life?Or they have mental problems?

Favorite Answer

Child sexual abuse carries emotional trauma that can harm a person long into adulthood. Children who have experienced sexual abuse are at increased risk for the following:

1) DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY

Depression is the number one long-term effect associated with survivors of childhood sexual abuse. When children are sexually abused they frequently internalize the events, which includes having negative thoughts about themselves throughout childhood and into adulthood. There is a difference between sadness and depression; markers of clinical depression in survivors of childhood sexual abuse include:

1) Frequently feeling down.

2) Thoughts or talk of suicide.

3) Abnormal sleeping patterns, such as trouble sleeping or sleeping too much.

4) Abnormal eating patterns, such as inability to eat or overeating.

Anxiety is strongly related to depression, like two sides of the same coin. Children who have experienced sexual abuse are at increased risk for chronic anxiety, tension, anxiety or panic attacks, and the onset of different types of phobias, or fears. Child survivors of sexual abuse experience similar stress and anxiety issues as war veterans.

2) NEGATIVE SELF-ESTEEM/SELF-WORTH

When children experience sexual abuse they often blame themselves for the abuse. This is especially common when the sexual predator was loved and trusted by the child, such as family members, clergy, and teachers. The child finds it difficult to see their abuser in a negative light because they held them in such high regard. In turn, the child believes they deserved and allowed the abuse, carrying these emotions with them for years. This incites feelings of guilt and shame on top of self-blame.

The guilt and shame of child abuse doesn’t build self-esteem or self-worth, it causes damage, especially later on in life. Adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse struggle with setting healthy boundaries in their friendships and relationships, making them more prone to be involved with an abusive or controlling partner. They stay in these unhealthy relationships because of low self-esteem and self-worth, stemming from sexual abuse.

3) SUICIDE

Children who have experienced sexual abuse are at an increased risk for suicide. Thoughts of suicide are often linked with depression, anxiety, and low self-esteem. When child or adult survivors of sexual abuse feel worthless and have low-self esteem, they may become withdrawn, and continued feelings of worthlessness can lead to suicide. Children who suffered sexual abuse are at least three times more likely to commit suicide later in life than children who haven’t suffered abuse. Children who suffered continual or multiple cases of abuse are at least five times more likely to commit suicide later in life. Child victims of sexual abuse may also commit suicide as the abuse is still occurring. Victims feel powerless because of repeated violations of their bodies through manipulation and coercion.

4) EATING DISORDERS

Binging, purging, and restricting one’s food can numb or reduce feelings of depression and shame. This sometimes motivates child sexual abuse survivors to self-medicate with food. In other cases, abuse victims engage in these behaviors as a way to punish their bodies, the same bodies that didn’t protect them when they were being abused, this is a form of internal anger. Starving themselves gives a child sexual abuse survivor a way to control their body and substitute for feelings of powerlessness stemming from sexual abuse. 30% of those with eating disorders suffered sexual abuse, likely because childhood sexual abuse has a drastic impact on body image. Anorexia nervosa is present in those who suffered sexual abuse, bulimia nervosa occurs much more frequently. Bulimia is an eating disorder characterized by binge eating followed by purging, and it’s connected to the trauma of childhood sexual abuse as a form of self-protection. Binging and purging may temporarily reduce thoughts and emotions related to the trauma of sexual abuse such as anger, guilt, and stress. It also serves as a way for victims to deal with a need for control, predictability, and personal space.

5) SLEEPING DISORDERS

Young children who suffer sexual abuse are likely to have sleep problems, some of which can last into adulthood. Adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse suffer more sleep problems than their counterparts. Sleep disorders are miserable for adults, regardless of the cause, but they have highly detrimental effects on children. When children don’t get the sleep they need, they might struggle with cognitive functions and under-perform in school. Sleep problems can manifest in many different ways including trouble falling asleep, nightmares, insomnia, and sleeping too long.

6) SUBSTANCE ABUSE

Adults who suffered childhood sexual abuse are four to five times more likely to abuse alcohol or illegal drugs. Alcohol and drug use serve as self-medication that helps abuse victims numb the feelings associated with the trauma they suffered. More than 1,100 women who suffered childhood abuse and sexual abuse are far more likely to self-report one of the following:

1) That the woman used alcohol within 30 days of the interview.

2) That the woman had been intoxicated within a year before the interview.

3) That the woman experienced one or more alcohol-related problems within the previous year including disagreements with family, problems at work, and problems with children.

4) That the woman had one or more symptoms of alcohol dependency within the previous year, including blackouts when drinking, consuming alcohol in the morning, and the inability to stop or reduce alcohol over time.

Women who suffered childhood sexual abuse had increased risk for drug abuse. The study also examined the connection between childhood sex abuse and six major disorders including:

1) Alcohol dependence

2) Drug dependence

3) Major depression

4) Generalized anxiety disorder

5) Panic disorder

6) Bulimia nervosa

Between genital sexual abuse, non-genital sexual abuse, and intercourse. Alcohol dependence and drug dependence were the only disorders that were highly associated with all three levels of sexual abuse.

7. POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER 

The National Center for PTSD reports that some survivors of child sexual abuse show symptoms of PTSD. They include:

1) Agitated behavior

2) Nightmares

3) Repetitive play that expresses aspects of the abuse

4) Phobias

5) Loss of developmental skills

6) Inappropriate sexual behavior

Internalizing the abuse, withdrawing from others, committing self-harm or suicide. Depression, anxiety, and thoughts of suicide are a common thread that run through many of the long-term effects of childhood sexual abuse, causing them to also strongly correlate with PTSD. A subset of PTSD effects, known as dissociative behavior. Dissociation serves as a child sexual abuse victim’s most direct defense against a severe trauma. Survivors who suffer from dissociative behavior often engage in derealization and depersonalization, feelings that the world and oneself are not real. When child sexual abuse victims suffer ongoing abuse, they dissociate from themselves and the world around them to avoid connecting with the physical and emotional suffering of the abuse. Dissociation can also include feelings of disorientation or confusion, flashbacks to the abuse, nightmares, and lack of emotion. Dissociation is also what causes some child victims and adult survivors to deny and repress the abuse. This also explains why some abuse survivors don’t recall their abuse until much later in life.

8) DIFFICULTIES WITH SEX

As might be expected, the physical long-term effects of childhood sexual abuse are primarily related to sex and sexuality. Yet, the emotional and physical are intertwined, the top 10 sex-related issues children who have suffered sexual abuse are at risk for in adulthood include:

1) Survivors might not feel interested in sex, develop a phobia of sex, or avoid it altogether.

2) Survivors might view sex as an obligation because of how their abuser coerced or manipulated them during the abuse.

3) Survivors might not engage in sexual relations because they feel anger or guilt when a partner touches them sexually.

4) Survivors might not feel aroused or any sensations during sex.

5) Survivors might not connect emotionally with their partner during sexual relations.

6) Survivors might feel plagued with disturbing images and thoughts when engaging in sex.

7) Survivors might participate in compulsive  or hyperactive sexual behavior, meaning they need to have sex and have it an excessive amount of times or with an excessive amount of partners. 

8) Survivors of child sexual abuse often have difficulty initiating or maintaining intimate relationships with others.

The mental trauma that accompanies child sex abuse causes even more struggles for survivors. The trauma can permeate a survivor’s personal and professional life. In severe cases, a survivor might not be able to work because of anxiety and symptoms of PTSD.

• Zirp

Are you looking for easy answers or for excuses?

People react differently to the same sexual abuse, and in  many cases it will affect their lovers and children as well

why does any one think its ok to rape or molest a child ? They need the death penalty

I was 4-years-old when my uncle, who was baby-sitting me, raped me. Having "mental problems" is far too broad of a distinction to nail my life down to that event, as I also had to live with an alcoholic father.

The dysfunction that ran through my family was epic, and without going into a lot of detail, I suffered from frequent traumas both large and small throughout my childhood. So, attributing any mental problems I have down to ONE EVENT is over-simplistic and short sighted.

Certainly the attack had an effect on me. I don't trust people very easily and I tend to question anyone's motives who seems to have too much affection for me, in what I think of as, too soon. All of the other issues I suffer from became part of the soup of my dysfunction.

Since I've been in therapy and a series of 12-step programs, I've run into countless people that grew up with the same or a very similar pattern. So, in general, I can say that everyone who was raped at a young has mental problems, BUT, to quantify how much that incident affected their life is impossible to discern.

Also, no one can determine how successful these people's lives turn out. I ended up having a somewhat successful baseball career, and have been working as a special effects artist for Film/TV for almost 30 years. So, career-wise I've done well. I also know some VERY successful people with the same background as well.

As with a lot of people in life, my love-life hasn't been a complete success. My second marriage has failed after 27 years. Which I have to take a measured amount of blame for, BUT, my soon-to-be ex-wife played a large role in the failure as well. So, once again, I cannot measure how the trauma effected that relationship to the point of failure. Maybe a lot, maybe only somewhat, or maybe not at all. It's hard to say.

One more thing. No one can say how much anyone's trauma effects them. In my case, I feel like it didn't hamper my success rate that much. I was born intelligent, aggressive and focused, and given any factors in my life, I feel like I squeezed a good amount of good out of my time here on earth.

I know I didn't really answer your question in the context of how you asked it, but I don't think there actually is a definitive answer.

I do not they will remember or realize 

That depends completely on how they deal with the trauma.