dizwar
dizwar asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Is it possible to make a tasty German potato salad without mayo, bacon, cream, or onion?

I have white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, Balsamic vinegar, vinaigrette dressing, mustard, eggs, lemon juice, salt, pepper, cumin, and nutmeg.

Favorite Answer

Technically, if you wanted to, you could make a mayo with the eggs and the vinaigrette (or oil if you have it). Just throw the eggs in a blender and drizzle in the vinaigrette/oil while whipping at a medium speed. 

Otherwise, it won't be a super creamy german potato salad without the Mayo. But, there are potato salads out there that are not "creamy" but more like vinaigrette based. I just would hesitate to call it German. I would not be opposed to the vinaigrette with Mustard, but be careful. Yellow mustard is basically vinegar + mustard seeds, so it can go super-vinegary if you keep adding more vinegar. But, yea, mustard, vinaigrette + salt and pepper would be good... you can add a bit of the nutmeg for a "hmm what is that?" taste if you want, but it could be off-putting to some. 

I use neither mayonnaise nor cream in my German potato salad, but onion and bacon are a must. The bacon drippings and vinegar are sufficient for the 'dressing' that coats the potato.

I found a recipe that also requires sugar, but does suggest bacon. Here are the ingredients:

3 cups diced peeled potatoes4 slices bacon1 small onion, diced¼ cup white vinegar2 tablespoons water3 tablespoons white sugar1 teaspoon salt⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

The bacon is in there for both texture and the smoke flavor but is not that essential. The parsley is for decoration. Instructions in link below.

• Anton

Hell Yes!

Those good people at the Alpine Market, Torrance CA -- https://alpinevillagecenter.com/german-market-2/ -- sells a really good German Potato Salad that does not use mayo, bacon, cream (and I would have to check it, possibly no onion either.)

They make sauerkraut that has a lot less salt than commercial crap

They make a Polish Kielbasa that is nearly as good as Kowalski https://www.kowality.com/

• denise

You could make 'A' potato salad with some of these ingredients,  Experiment with some and see how you get on.