SW-6
SW-6 asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Does anyone have a summary of how using the electric fence has worked for them - good / bad?

I was thinking about getting it.  :)

Favorite Answer

It may or may not keep your dog inside it. As some  determined dogs learn to run through the shock area simply.

But theres no way such a fence would stop another dog from coming inside it and attacking your dog....

Such electronic fences are foolish therefore... So if I were you id opt for a real physical fence instead, that wouldnt allow either thing to happen at all, when erected correctly.

• "Does anyone have a summary of how using the electric fence has worked for them - good / bad?"

I've never used an electric fence. But in the rural area where we lived before moving here, I had permission from the farmer whose furthest-from-his-home paddock was around 2 sides of the house we lived in, to use his paddock to exercise our dogs. When he wanted to make hay for the cows to chew in winter, he would ring us 2 weeks beforehand to say "Stay out until the hay's been baled."

It was a BIG paddock, with a water trough in the centre - and an electric fence that was switched on when the cows were chomping half the paddock. (When it was the half that our house & kennels were on, the cows would line our fence to contemplate our GSDs [German Shepherd Dogs] while chewing their cud.)

One afternoon one of our bìtches decided to leap into the trough for a drink. As her head went down for a drink her bum or tail touched the wire that crossed over the the mid-line of the trough. She NEVER went near that trough again!

But I VERY much doubt that you MEANT an _electric_fence_. Assuming that you are a city-kid, I doubt you are ALLOWED to have an electric fence: https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2013/01/14/electric-fe... because of the risk of it shocking (and possibly stopping the breathing of) invasive brats.

The other answerers have mostly assumed that you are sure to be meaning what gets called an "invisible fence", which requires the dogs to wear a "shock collar" the whole time they are in the yard. The "fence" consists of a cable lying on the ground, or buried maybe 2 inches under the grass. When the power is on to that cable, it radiates a weak signal. When the collar gets too close to the cable it triggers a switch built into the collar and switches as much power as the collar is set for into the 2 prongs that are constantly digging into the dog's neck.

👺Risk #1: If the prongs AREN'T digging in, the electricity might NOT jump between the 2 prongs, and thus WON'T send a shock through the dog's hide.

👺Risk #2: If you are still considering getting one, first try wearing one around YOUR neck for as many hours a day as your dog would have to wear it. Soon gets "touchy" there, doesn't it!

👺Risk #3: Okay - after a couple of days get hold of the push-button that signals the "ordinary" shock collar to send a shock through your neck - start with the weakest setting, then work your way up to the maximum setting. Don't be ashamed if you piddle your pants before reaching the maximum level. But DO realise that DOGS are at least 10 TIMES more sensitive to electric shocks than WE are.

👺Risk #4: As someone else said, SOME dogs are clever enough to wait until the battery on the collar has been run "flat" by staying where the battery is used to keep the "warning buzzer" going continuously - without getting close enough for the pooch to be shocked. When the battery is "flat" it can't produce the shock, and so the pooch can wander off, have sex, get run over, whatever.

👺Risk #5: Stray dogs, and evil-minded brats, are NOT wearing shock collars tuned to the frequency of YOUR "invisible" fence, so there is NOTHING to stop them entering your dog's property and beating up or mating or - in the case of brats - poisoning or stealing or torturing your pooch.

👺Risk #6: A car crash in your area could cause the power to go off. An "aware" pooch will soon work out that it can go "exploring". If it tries to return AFTER the power has been switched back on, the shocks will PREVENT it from returning home.

I was going to add some more - but it is after 4:15am and I MUST clean up & get to bed.

• "I was thinking about getting it.  :)"

I STRONGLY suggest you forget about calling THAT "brain fart" actual "thinking", and develop more awareness and realism. People without a WELL-fenced yard should NOT obtain dogs.

FENCE your property. If you are renting, MOVE to a well-FENCED property.

If you are in the USA: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ shows that CoViD-19 has killed 206,877 Yanks or Rebs so far (more than in any other nation), with 284 of them "new" deaths. That's close to as many as Brazil & India combined, and way worse than India & Mexico combined! USAmericans should know who NOT to vote for this year!

I also strongly suspect that you have NOT spent a year in a weekly training class getting COACHED on HOW to train your kind of dog.

Les the aged Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

I do not know of any good reasons to use an electric fence for a dog.  Dogs are easily trained.  & those who use or want to use electricity to train a dog is just downright lazy.  Just put up a regular fence.  Dog can run right through the fence & once it is past the fence it is free to roam.  Other animals can come into your yard & harm your dog or you & your family.  An electric fence is worthless.  & just shows laziness of the owner.

Don't ever use electricity to train a dog.  By the time you trained it on the fence, you could have it completely obedience trained.  Don't use electricity on dogs.  You can be much more loving by regular fencing & training.

• Maxi

Not something I would choose to use, a real fence and training deals with 99.9% of issues....... if a dog is left inside its own garden and doesn't get walked daily in the outside world they miss out on too much so those dogs are more likely to try to escape  as they feel trapped/bored and are under socialised..........

I have used one for a client the dog was walked daily, was well trained/well socialised, was out training flyball and agility and competing on weekends, yet when in the 1 acre  fully fenced/secure garden  along with the other dogs in the pack she would soon be out and on the road which sooner or later she would have been killed........so I set up CCTV so observe where she was getting out and to my surprise she chose the highest fence to jump/climb and was out in seconds and that was an 8' fence, the rest of the garden was secured by a 4' fence and she never attempted to go over that before or afterwards.......... and normally agility trained dogs will not jump fences unless asked to do so....... so I used an electric fence at the top of the 8' fence, it zapped her twice and she never tried again..... so it worked for her and the only reason I used it was I had tried everything else, it would certainly never had been a choice I would use before all and anything else but I used it as nothing else worked and it was down to her life/death on the road.

Anon gave a good rundown.  I have also known of dogs so badly "shocked" despite "supposed invisible fence training"  by the company -such that the shocked dog REFUSED to go out in the backyard - afterwards (in some cases FOREVER) which meant the owner had to put them on lead & take them out the front door.

I have known of many "smart breeds" to sit BESIDE the fence in the "warning zone" & seemingly INTENTIONALLY run down the battery - until the fence no longer worked and if any body cuts or "shorts out" the line, it also will NOT WORK and the dog seems to "know that" or "test" regularly.

An invisible fence will keep NOTHING and NO ONE - out of your yard.  It is also NOT obvious to walkers or package delivery people where the SAFE zone is - and where the dog cannot go.  So, they may still MACE your dog.

Any number of HIGH PREY DRIVE dogs will take the ZAP and charge thru the fence - if they see something (like a cat) or a person on a bike/skate board that motivates them to make a "run" after it.  Once OUT, the dog cannot come back in without getting ZAPPED - so they don't.

I had a friend who had a kennel of dogs (sold the invisible fencing) & only used her INv fence when she could stand & WATCH her pack.  It usually kept them (with her on watch) from taking after the deer on her property but she said she NEVER LEFT her dogs LOOSE in just the invisible fence if she was not there and not able to watch them at ALL TIMES.  When she left, they went in roofed and cement floored kennel runs with locks on each gate.

Good fences (as in REAL FENCES) make good neighbors.  No way in he#  I would ever use or trust an invisible or electric fence.  I cannot tell you the number of dogs ending up at shelters ..... with the invisible fence collar around their neck.

As far as I'm concerned, and I'm assuming you mean an underground electric fence, or do you?, there's nothing better than a proper fence, of the right height and erected deep into the ground enough to not be able to be dug under.    If you need to fence off a big area, use agricultural fencing - we had acreage in Canada and fenced off one acre from the house (and a dog door) so our lot could come and go without having to 'let them out', other than when the weather was foul so the dog door had to be shut.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/181441942745?chn=ps&norov...

Here is my experience.  It's lengthy, for which I apologize, but it's what happened.  My husband and I rescued a dog that had been abused.  She had a tendency to run when there were loud noises.  Our acre backyard was surrounded by a chainlink fence.  She figured out how to tunnel under it, so we lined it inside and outside with building blocks.  She then learned how to climb up the chainlink and leap from the top.  When she got out, she sat on my neighbor's patio, didn't go anywhere else, but she needed to be in the yard.  We paid a LOT of money for an electric fence around the total acreage, and that included installing a dedicated electric line.  The trainer came for two days, and we thought she understand the buzzing warning.  She did not.

We let her out and watched.  She ran for the fence, hit the field, SCREAMED, flipped over backwards, urinated all over herself, defecated, tried to run and hide but was trapped between the line and the fence.  It was nothing short of torturing an animal.  My husband got to her first while I flipped the system off.  She was terrified and cowered and hid, and we were frantic that we had caused her this kind of pain.

We called the fence installation guy, and he came the next day with an offer of lessons.  No lessons.  He dug up the fence and took it away with him.  When he was leaving I asked to see the collar, put it around my wrist and asked him to activate it.  I realize my dog is covered with fur and I am not, but it was a terrible, terrible jolt.

It was easily four months before she would walk around in the yard.  She would go out, bathroom next to the deck and come back in.  We walked her, we persuaded her, we did everything we could to get her back to her previous trusting self - and it took us months to get there.

I would NEVER use an electric fence, never.  My sister didn't believe me, she installed an electric fence, a neighbor's dog came in and absolutely mauled her dog.  Obviously the fence keeps your dog in but doesn't keep other dogs out.  And, once again, her dog was trapped outside the fence, pushed across it by the other dog and got shock after shock.  Horrible.

We then installed a stockade fence.  By that time, she no longer cared to go anywhere.

And another note - she loved my husband.  He died very suddenly in his early 30's, and she died unexpectedly next to my bed in three months.  I think her heart was broken.  Nothing to do with fencing, of course.