K S Lall asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Etiquette: if I receive rude service in a restaurant, is it better to ask for the manager or to leave a zero tip?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Always ask to see the manager or else they might just think that you have the problem and are being tight by not leaving a tip and if the manager goes unaware, the problem will not be resolved.

• 4 weeks ago

Both, both, both.

• 4 weeks ago

I would leave NOTHING mwahahahahaaaaa.....😈😈😈😈😈

• 4 weeks ago

I just do not leave a tip, then go home and forget about it. It is a waste of time and effort to talk to the manager. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jon
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

It's not an either-or question. But whatever you decide about the tip, you have to speak to the manager or nothing will change.

• 4 weeks ago

I'd give zero tip . However, if I feel like this service is badly unprofessional and it's systematic (i.e that it can affect other customers) such as a waiter putting stuff in the food or giving me a note with rude comment, then I will escalate it to the manager because if it happened to me, it could happen to someone else.

• Jerry
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I'd say the first thing to do is communicate directly with the server, being very clear about what you want him/her to do differently. Sometimes all you need to do get what you want is tell someone what you want. 

Complaining to management is pretty likely to get your server fired. I would do that if and only if the server did something really bad, something not just careless or thoughtless or mistaken but downright hostile or hurtful. If I took my concerns about service to management, I'd do it like this:

"On several occasions I have noticed that several of your servers ...". That way management is addressing the concern but not by firing somebody. 

• 4 weeks ago

There is no one right way to react in this situation.  You could do one or both of your suggestions.  Ultimately, you decide what is best for you.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

i think either one would work

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I would leave zero tip. When I got home, I would compose a letter to the manager without accusation and just report what happened. Supposedly, diners will forgive bad food, but not bad service. The manager needs to know what could cost the restaurant customers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.