£10,000 for failing to self-isolate?

New legislation in England and Wales to take effect from 28th September

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-breaking-se...

And so the government admit that they can no longer rely on the British public to willingly comply with 'guidance' as SAGE report that only 20% of people who are testing positive for Covid-19 or told to isolate by T&T, are actually self-isolating.

Fines of £1,000 will be given to first time offenders rising to 10 grand for those who repeatedly break the law or those who break it for the first time but in a way considered to be more serious (I imagine that would include finding someone at a party with 200 people for example).

Do you agree with the guidance being made law in essentially what is an attempt to avoid another national lockdown?

29 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

good luck getting this crazy amount  and this is a so silly a amount to fine people it beggars belief.

What about those out with covid-19 who have not had a test?

lets be clear the conservatives said at the start of this pandemic that the chance of it coming here was 'low' and so it took ages to introduce lockdown and so do not come blaming anyone but themselves for the virus now making its comeback . 

was told they were dropping lockdown measures to soon and now it is go back to work and then do not go back to work and stay working from home.

i saw china  only drop lockdown measures when the cases of covid-19 were zero for days  and not has in this country when the R rate was just below one and still cases been registered .

say "oh, there are more cases because more people are been tested "and the WHO SAID TEST, TEST . TEST  and so if we do not know where the virus is how can we control it and drop lockdown measures?

• 4 weeks ago

The CONservative Government are mentally unstable to implement this charge.  The Furlough scheme is ending in October, so for those people who can't work from home, but have lost work due to Covid, will have to sign on and claim Universal Credit until a cure is found.

I can understand why some people (usually those earning a low paid wage), have decided to continue working, whilst knowingly infected by Covid.  It will continue until our Government can offer enough money to pay rents, mortgages, bills and food etc.  I recall a daily payment of £13 for people on low incomes, who are self isolating.  Who on earth can survive on £13 a day!

• 4 weeks ago

Several NFL coaches were fined $100,000 last weekend - for not wearing masks at games.

• Buzz
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I’m afraid it’s the only way stupid people will take rules seriously. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

need to do that in the US

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Ridiculous and a total breach of civil liberties. This will all come back to bite the Tories in the rear end.

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Here in Ontario people are getting fines for breaking the rules. Hosts and attendees of social gatherings that exceed the number of permitted persons are subject to fines of $1000+ and $750 respectively. We even have a hotline to report offenders.  Because of an increase in Covid-19 cases (300) our Premier, Doug Ford has reinstated some of the eased up restrictions Similar actions are being taken by the other provincial premiers. 

In survey after survey Canadians support the actions taken by our governments and have no sympathy for the rule breakers. Americans are permitted to enter Canada if they are going to Alaska. One American decided to be a tourist and visit Banff National Park (look up in an atlas) and to make a long story short he was fined $750000.  In fact those Americans who want to go to Alaska by land can only enter Canada in BC.  

Perhaps the only thing that these rule breakers understand is the amount of money in their piggy banks. So by imposing fines the government is communicating with them in a language they understand.  These covidiots get no sympathy from me. Do they really think the rest of us who are doing our best to stop or slow down the spread of Covid-19 like wearing face masks or not doing all the activities that we enjoyed doing pre-pandemic? 

I think you will find that as time goes on the ones who are following the rules will have less and less sympathy for the covidiots and will want greater fines imposed.. 

• It should be three years in jail to protect our economy. 

• 1 month ago

They would have to bother enforcing the law first

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes I 100 % agree with it

. With a bit of luck it will make those who are thinking of breaking it think twice and they may even realise that it's for their own good and to help stop the spread 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.