Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 1 month ago

Red Rose Origin Story?

I was wondering if anyone knew any red rose origin stories. How a white rose became a red rose. I’m looking for one in particular. It has nothing to do about greek myths like Aphrodite. I have been searching the internet and can’t find it anywhere. I found it before on the internet a few months ago. Any one know what I’m talking about? I believe it may have British origins? I think it involves a woman perhaps a noble woman who goes into a garden is stabbed by a rose bush thorns and her blood stains the white roses and turns them red. The story also might be featured on an educational dvd from the early 2000’s? That’s all I know. Please let me know if anyone is able to find this exact story as I would like to use it for a writing project.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Elaine
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Oscar Wilde wrote a short story about a white rose that became red. 

• 1 month ago

*Thank you Elaine. That’s the best answer so far. Unfortunately, although similar I don’t believe the story had anything to do about a nightingale. I could give you more information if that would help? There’s a story that’s more similar called Sweetheart Roland by Grimm but not quite. I guess I’m stumped. If you find anything else, I would greatly appreciate it. It would be helpful to find this original story for my writing as I want to do a retelling, so finding the original source material would be amazing. Luckily I’ve already finished it when I had the story on hand. I just need to rewrite it at this point. I don’t think It will be the end of the world if I can’t find it. 

No not all. An actual origin story folktale/ myth this doesn't have anything to do with history. Perhaps its very rare or not very popular? I swore I saw it online before just can't find it.

• JASON
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Do you mean the wars of the roses, Lancastrian red rose and white Yorkshire rose? Or perhaps you're referring to the rosicrucians?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.