How long can a body last at the bottom of the ocean?

I am just wondering because I’m thinking about the Titanic and all of the victims who died aboard it, and it’s said that their bodies decomposed a long, long time ago including their bones, but I was just wondering how long ago.  Also do you think that all of their bodies remained intact once they sank with the ship, because when the stern went down some pieces broke off because of the pressure of the water.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Any body in water:  creatures from single-cell up consume the flesh rapidly . . . . while bones can last for centuries in dry conditions, they dissolve when submerged - especially in salt water.

The Titanic went down in very deep water.  Victims trapped inside were also exposed to crushing pressure - there would have been no recognizable remains in the wreck within days days-weeks of the sinking.

• Barry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Until the crabs and hag fish have eaten it.

• 1 month ago

If there are bodies deep within the ship, away from scavengers and oxygen, there may still be some recognizable remains.

From the link:

Decomposition slows if bodies get cut off from the open sea, reducing oxygen levels and scavengers. The interiors of old wrecks have thus yielded bones, teeth and sometimes whole bodies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/science/titanic...

We will probably never truly know.

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

with all the ocean scavengers, not long ..................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.