Should I see Watchmen (HBO tv-series)?

I hear it's awesome. I like some of the superhero movies but not all. Some are kinda silly and stupid but I hear this tv show is one of a kind. Anyways I think I will give it a shot.

Favorite Answer

It's a sequel of sorts to the comic book series of the same name from the 1980s.  That series is regarded as one of the best superhero comics of all time and really does a lot to deconstruct the genre and look at many of the conventions of it and some of the problems with it. 

The tv series is set 30 some odd years after the comic (just as we are in reality).  It has some of the characters from the comic series but the main character is an African-American policewoman in Tulsa, Oklahoma who, after a tragedy, becomes and officially sanctioned costumed crime fighter. 

But the show itself is less about action and more about drama.  That's one thing that sets it apart from the various super hero movies.  It's created by Damon Lindelof, and like Lindelof's previous show, the Leftovers, it's heavily focused on grief and trauma.  Part of this is from the horrific events which occurred at the end of the comics series.  But unlike the Leftovers, Watchmen puts African American experiences in the forefront.  The opening scenes of the show depict the 1921 Tulsa Race massacre, a real life event which holds the dubious distinction of being perhaps the greatest single act of racial violence in American history.  The fallout from that event reverberates through the entire series and effects the various characters and their story arcs.